Professional training year
Most biosciences degrees at Cardiff University include the option of a placement year.
We welcome four student placements from Cardiff University each year. Students work on a variety of projects and help to maintain Danau Girang. They learn about the local biodiversity and way of life and witness the progression of active conservation work throughout the year.
- Impact of habitat fragmentation of the ecto and haemo-parasite fauna of the water monitor lizard (Varanus salvator) in Borneo.
- Assessing bearded pig (Sus barbatus barbatus) habitat usage in a fragmented landscape using line transects and camera traps.
- An investigation into parasite diversity, prevalence and intensity within two freshwater fish species; Ompok bimaculatus and Cyclocheilichthys repasson, within the Kinabatangan river, Sabah, Malaysia.
- A body condition scoring system for the Bornean banteng (Bos javanicus lowi) and the effect of forest management and the wet and dry season on these scores in Sabah, Malaysia.
- Optimising anuran monitoring investigations in a tropical seasonal environment.
- Establishing the home range, behavioural ecology and habitat use of the Bornean tarsier (Tarsius bancanus borneanus).