Dr Jerry Yue Zhuo
BSc (Hons), MSc (LSE), MA, PhD (Cardiff), AFHEA
Lecturer in Composition
- Room 1.03, 33-37 Heol Corbett, Cathays, Caerdydd, CF10 3EB
My name is 卓越 (Zhuó Yuè), aka. Jerry Zhuo. I am an active composer, performer and conductor with a rising reputation in Wales and my hometown Xiamen, China.
Having grown up in an increasingly postmodern society of China, I produce works that question the authenticity of personal identity. I often employ a philosophical approach in organising musical structure, taking inspirations from my experience in electroacoustic performance, improvisation, and audience engagement. Based on this, I have recently started a new compositional and musicological research project in Nan-yin, a type of music from my native Min-nan Chinese (or Hokkien) culture.
My compositional outcomes have been described as ‘evocative’ and ‘deeply personal’ by audiences. I have been selected to participate music festivals and composition projects worldwide, including Tŷ Cerdd, Vale of Glamorgan Festival, Valencia International Performance Festival, impuls (2019 and 2021) and Chen Qigang Music Academy.
As a conductor and promoter of contemporary music and arts, I have become increasingly recognised in Xiamen, China, for which I have received a number of press interviews, including one by the China Daily. I am currently the co-conductor of the award-wining Xiamen Foreign Language School Orchestra and a resident artist of Three Shadows Xiamen Photography Art Centre.
Education and qualifications
- 2022: PhD Music (Composition), Cardiff University, UK
- 2020: AFHEA (Higher Education Academy) with Distinction
- 2017: MA Music (Composition) with Distinction, Cardiff University, UK
- 2016: MSc International Management (IMEX), London School of Economics and Political Science, UK
- 2015: BSc Hons Economics, University of Bath, UK
Anrhydeddau a Dyfarniadau
- 2021: 1st prize, String Orchestra Category, Xiamen Middle and Primary School Arts Exhibition, China (conducting)
- 2021: 1st prize, Symphonic Winds Category, Xiamen Middle and Primary School Arts Exhibition, China (conducting)
- 2021: 1st prize, Instrumental Music Category, Fujian Provincial Music and Dance Festival, China (conducting)
- 2021: 2nd prize for Original Choral Compositions and Excellent Ensemble Leader, Chongqing Universities Arts Exhibition (provincial level), China
- 2020: Graduate Tutor of the Year Award, Cardiff University, UK
- 2020: Selected participant of Ty Cerdd 'CoDI Sound' and 'CoDI Mentor' projects with grants
- 2017–2020: Full Studentship, Cardiff University School of Music, UK
- 2016: International Studentship, Cardiff University College of AHSS, UK
- 2015: Outstanding Alumni, Xiamen Foreign Language School, China
Safleoedd academaidd blaenorol
- 2021–present: Lecturer in Composition, Cardiff University School of Music, UK
- 2017–2019: A-Level Economics and Music Teacher, St John's College Cardiff, UK
Ymrwymiadau siarad cyhoeddus
- Postgraduate Forum, Cardiff University, UK (27 April 2021). Composer presentation: ‘Experiencing Identity, Forming the Poetic Space’.
- Three Shadows Xiamen Photography Art Centre, China (18 April 2021). Public lecture: ‘The Fluxus Movement and Contemporary Music After 1960s’.
- BFE-RMA Research Students’ Conference, Cambridge, UK (14 January 2021). Video presentation and panel: ‘Politics of Naming COVID-19: A Creative Response’.
- ‘Onto 2021: The Past, (Pandemic) Present, and Future of Arts and Art Education’ Conference, University College London, UK (3 January 2021). Video presentation and panel: ‘Remote Music Education and Performance.’
- Princess Galyani Vadhana Institute of Music International Symposium, Bangkok, Thailand (25 August 2020). Video presentation and panel: ‘Politics of Naming COVID-19: A Creative Response’.
- St Petersburg International Music Festival ‘reMusik.org’, Russia (28 May 2020). Composer presentation: ‘The Identity Forming Process of a Composer’.
- Valencia International Performance Festival, Spain (14 July 2019). Composer presentation: ‘Vocalisation and Chinese Intonation’.
- Delian Academy for New Music, Greece (11 June 2019). Symposium presentation: ‘Vocalisation and Chinese Intonation’.
- Xiamen University College of Art, China, (23 June 2019). Symposium presentation: ‘Composing Contemporary Music’.
- Breaking Boundary Research Day, Cardiff, UK (19 March 2019). Conference presentation: ‘Beyond Chineseness: Self-Identity in Musical Composition’.
- PGR Study Day, Cardiff University, UK (27 January 2019). Conference presentation: ‘Into Door Gods: Familiarising the Unfamiliar Home’.
- ‘Synthetis’ International Summer Course for Composers, Poland (2nd August 2018). Composer presentation: ‘Improvisation and “Games” in Compositions’.
- Xiamen Foreign Language School Professional Elite TED-Talk, China (31 May 2018). Public lecture: ‘“Listen…” — Deep Listening and Improvisation’.
Pwyllgorau ac adolygu
- 2021: Session Chair and Session Panel Leader, BFE-RMA Research Students’ Conference, Cambridge, UK
- 2019: Conference Lead Organiser, PGR Study Day, Cardiff University, UK
- 2019: Music Education Advisor, Phuket Taihua School, Thailand
- 2018: Concert Co-organiser, Contemporary Music for All (CoMA) Festival, Cardiff, UK
- Composition 1A (module leader)
- Composition 3 (final year major composition project supervision)
- Elements of Tonal Music (seminars)
- Studio Techniques (tutorials, second and final years)
- Studio Techniques (module leader)
- Ensemble (module leader)
- Contributes to specialist classes in the Research Skills modules
- 'Becoming an International Musician: Research and Communication on the Global Stage' (course leader)
- Work as the international liaison for the School of Music
- Facilitate communication with international students
My existing works and research engage with topics such as
- Chineseness — the act of self-stereotype in music and arts
- Identity and the 'identity sampling process' — the perception and construction of 'self' in music
- 'Poetic space' — non-linear musical structure
- 'Dramatic form' and theatricality in music and performance arts
- Languages, the translation of and the politics of, including a research in Min-nan dialect
- The New Discipline: the identity of a composer-performer in musical works
- Improvisation and audience engagement, e.g. Fluxus
- Improvisatory elements in notated music
- Use of electronics and digital devices such as tapes, synthesisers, pre-recorded video, smartphones and computer programmes (e.g. Max/MSP, Ableton Live)
- Cross-disciplinary works