The Cardiff Confucius Institute exists to provide high quality language teaching and to strengthen links between Cardiff University and Xiamen University to the benefit of both communities, and more broadly, both peoples.
There are almost 500 Confucius Institutes around the world, and each one serves its community in a different way. The focus of Cardiff Confucius Institute is on language teaching and is supported by the vast breadth of expertise based at the School of Modern Languages.
Find out more about our:
Building on the reputation and expertise gained since our establishment, our current objectives are:
- To continue to support Cardiff University’s International Strategy, in particular with regards to Xiamen University strategic partnership and international mobility of Cardiff University students and staff.
- To expand our portfolio of professional learning opportunities for primary and secondary schools’ teachers, and language provision for Welsh pupils by working with the Welsh Government and the four Welsh education regional consortia.
- To continue to engage with local communities and provide high quality cultural events.
We are able to offer the following services to Cardiff University, to schools across Wales and to the local community in Cardiff:
- Chinese language teaching
- Training and upskilling Chinese language instructors
- Providing high quality Chinese language teaching resources
- Facilitating regular Chinese language tests: the HSK examination (Chinese Proficiency Test), the Youth Chinese Test (YCT), and tests for the Certification of Chinese Language Teachers
- Supporting scholarship and exchange opportunities for those interested in studying Chinese
- Providing information and consultative services concerning China's education, language and culture
- Initiating and supporting language and cultural exchange activities between China and Wales.
Organisation and structure
Cardiff Confucius Institute’s Board of Advisors includes members of both Xiamen and Cardiff universities. Our current Board consists of:
- Professor Rudolf K Allemann, Pro Vice-Chancellor International and Student Recruitment
- Professor Yang Bin, Vice President of Xiamen University
- Mr Mao Tongwen, Director of the Southern Base of Confucius Institute Headquarters.
The Board of Advisors meets annually to review progress of the institute and plans for development.
Based within the School of Modern Languages we are able to work with and support academic and professional departments across the whole of Cardiff University.
We also work with many external organisations, including:
- The Welsh Government
- Welsh Regional Education Consortia
- Cardiff University’s Chinese Student and Scholars Association
- Hanban – China’s Office of Chinese Language Council International
- University of Wales Trinity Saint David’s Confucius Institute
- Bangor Confucius Institute
- British Council Wales
- Cardiff Central Library
- Wales Millennium Centre
- Red Dragon Centre.
Cardiff Confucius Institute