We promote Chinese language and culture in Wales and support collaboration between Wales and China.
The Institute was launched in 2008 and is a partnership between Xiamen University and Cardiff University. It is supported by Hanban – China’s Office of Chinese Language Council International.
There are almost 500 Confucius Institutes around the world, and each one serves its community in a different way. The focus of Cardiff Confucius Institute is on language teaching and is built upon the vast breadth of expertise based at the School of Modern Languages.
Find out more about our:
In order to work towards our vision we have three supporting strategic objectives:
- To support Cardiff University’s International Strategy and the development of Chinese language and culture provision.
- To work with the Welsh Government and the four Welsh Regional Education Consortia to develop the provision of Chinese language and culture in Primary and Secondary schools as part of the Global Futures strategy.
- To continue to engage with local communities in order to promote sharing and capacity building.
We offer the following services to schools, to Cardiff University and to the local community:
- Chinese language teaching in schools, in Cardiff University, and in the local community.
- Training Chinese language instructors and providing Chinese language teaching resources.
- Holding the HSK examination (Chinese Proficiency Test), the Youth Chinese Test (YCT), and tests for the Certification of Chinese Language Teachers.
- Providing information and consultative services concerning China's education, language and culture.
- Conducting language and cultural exchange activities between China and the UK.
Cardiff Confucius Institute’s Board of Advisors includes members of both Xiamen and Cardiff universities. Our current Board consists of:
- Professor Rudolf K Allemann, Pro Vice-Chancellor International and Student Recruitment, Head of the College of Physical Sciences & Engineering
- Professor Yang Bin, Vice President of Xiamen University
- Mr Mao Tongwen, Director of the Southern Base of Confucius Institute Headquarters.
The Board of Advisors meets annually to review progress of the institute and plans for development.
Based within the School of Modern Languages we are able to work with and support academic and professional departments across the whole of Cardiff University.
We also work with many external organisations, including:
- The Welsh Government
- Welsh Regional Education Consortia
- Cardiff University’s Chinese Student and Scholars Association
- Hanban – China’s Office of Chinese Language Council International
- University of Wales Trinity Saint David’s Confucius Institute
- Bangor Confucius Institute
- British Council Wales
- Cardiff Central Library
- Wales Millennium Centre
- Red Dragon Centre.
Cardiff Confucius Institute