The Cardiff Confucius Institute exists to provide high quality language teaching and to strengthen links between Cardiff University and Xiamen University to the benefit of both communities, and more broadly, both peoples.
The Institute was launched in 2008 and celebrated its 15th anniversary in July 2023. It is a partnership between Xiamen University and Cardiff University. It is supported by the Chinese International Education Foundation.
There are almost 500 Confucius Institutes around the world, and each one serves its community in a different way. The focus of Cardiff Confucius Institute is on language teaching and is supported by the vast breadth of expertise based at the School of Modern Languages.
Watch the English version of our 15th Anniversary video
Watch the Mandarin version of our 15th Anniversary video
Find out more about our:
Building on the reputation and expertise gained since our establishment, our current objectives are:
- To continue to support Cardiff University’s International Strategy, in particular with regards to Xiamen University strategic partnership and international mobility of Cardiff University students and staff.
- To expand our portfolio of professional learning opportunities for primary and secondary schools’ teachers, and language provision for Welsh pupils by working with the Welsh Government and the four Welsh education regional consortia.
- To continue to engage with local communities and provide high quality cultural events.
Cardiff Confucius Institute’s Board of Advisors includes members of both Xiamen and Cardiff universities. Our current Board consists of:
- Professor Rudolf K Allemann, Pro Vice-Chancellor International and Student Recruitment
- Professor Yang Bin, Vice President of Xiamen University
- Mr Mao Tongwen, Director of the Center for Chinese Language Education and Cooperation, Xiamen University
- Dr Catherine Chabert, Executive Director of the Cardiff Confucius Institute
- Professor Benlan Ye, Academic Director of Cardiff Confucius Institute
The Board of Advisors meets annually to review progress of the institute and plans for development.
|2008||Confucius Institute Individual Performance Excellence Award (Hanban) to Prof. Fu Siyi|
|2013||Confucius Institute of the Year from Xiamen University|
|2016||Confucius Institute Individual Performance Excellence Award (Hanban-Southern Base) to Dr Catherine Chabert|
|2019||Confucius Institute of the Year from Xiamen University|
|2020||19th UK-wide Chinese Bridge Competition Most Creative Award to Celia Kelly Myriam Bourhis|
|2021||20th UK-wide Chinese Bridge Competition Third Prize and 2021 Ambassador of Chinese Culture and Tourism Promotions in the UK to Ross Goldstone|
|2021||UK Mandarin Teaching Wales Competition First Prize to He Ling|
|2021||UK Mandarin Teaching Wales Competition Second Prize to Tian Linyan|
Based within the School of Modern Languages we are able to work with and support academic and professional departments across the whole of Cardiff University.
We also work with many external organisations, including:
- The Welsh Government
- Welsh Regional Education Consortia
- Cardiff University’s Chinese Student and Scholars Association
- Centre for Language Education and Cooperation
- University of Wales Trinity Saint David’s Confucius Institute
- Bangor Confucius Institute
- British Council Wales
- Cardiff Central Library
- Wales Millennium Centre
- Red Dragon Centre.
Cardiff Confucius Institute