The Centre specialises in the social-scientific study of Islam and Muslims in contemporary Britain.
We welcome enquiries from prospective doctoral students for projects on a wide range of topics, that specifically relate to Islam and Muslims in the British context, and that employ social-scientific/anthropological research techniques.
Enquiries for interdisciplinary/jointly supervised research are also welcome since the Centre has strong links to academics working in other Schools in Cardiff University, such as:
Suggested research topics
- Training of Imams and religious leadership in Britain
- The history and development of the Muslim community in Wales
- Muslim chaplaincy and Islam in public life
- Muslim women in Britain: strategies for empowerment
- Islam in the urban environment
- The economics of Muslim communities in Britain
- The transformation of religious thought in British Muslim communities.
How to make an enquiry
Please send your written proposal along with your current CV to Professor Gilliat-Ray at: firstname.lastname@example.org
To progress your enquiry about doctoral research, please send a written proposal of around 3,000 words. This should outline:
- your research aims and objectives
- your research questions
- your intended methodology
- an indicative timetable
- a bibliography.