Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Redwood Building

The Redwood Building has been home to the School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences since its opening as the "New Building" of the then Welsh CAT in 1960. In the beginning the school only occupied the South side of the building, but from 1990 it has expanded and since 2008 now occupies most of the building.

Redwood Building low relief sculpture above entrance

The large low relief sculpture by E. Bainbridge Copnall above the entrance to the Redwood Building

link to full size image  274.5 Kb

The most notable architectural feature of the building is the large low relief sculpture above the entrance door. This is the work of E. Bainbridge Copnall, M.B.E., F.R.B.S. It represents the figure of knowledge teaching the students of the world and symbolises the three departments that occupied the building at its official opening in 1961 - Pharmacy, Navigation and Chemistry & Biology. It is the only such mural in Cardiff. 

Edward Bainbridge Copnall MBE (1903–1973) was an eminent sculptor of his time, who shortly after completing this piece, was made president of the Royal Society of British Sculptors (1961 - 66). 

Most of his other low relief work adorns buildings in London, including the Headquarters building of the Royal Institute of British Architects; St James's House, built on the site of the former St James's Theatre; and the Vue Cinema in Leicester Square. He is also the sculptor of the large figure of Thomas a Becket in the gardens of St Paul's Cathedral. He was awarded the M.B.E. for his work as a camouflage officer during WW2.

He is included in the National Archives web-site

See Also:  

The 'Turner Collection'