Dr Julie Albon
Educational and Professional Qualifications:
1990-1995 PhD Investigation into the age-related changes in the extracellular matrix of the human lamina cribrosa. Bristol University.
1989 BSc Applied Biological Sciences, Bristol Polytechnic.
2000 – present Lecturer, School of Optometry and Vision Sciences, Cardiff University
1999-2000 Post-doctoral research associate, Cardiff University
1995-1999 Senior Clinical Scientist, Eye Bank, Manchester Healthcare Trust.
Honorary Lecturer, Department of Ophthalmology, Manchester University.
School Roles and Committees:
School and University Roles and Committees:
- Director of School Research Audit Ethics Committee
- Person designated for School of Optometry and Vision Science (OPTOM), as per Cardiff University Human Tissue Act (HTA) licence
- OPTOM Biological Safety Officer
- OPTOM Erasmus co-ordinator
- Deputy Chair of Teaching and Learning
- Histology Lead for VSBL
- Optic Nerve Head Group Leader
School Committee Membership:
- Safety committee
- Research Ethics Audit committee
- Teaching and Learning committee
- Research committee
- Postgraduate research sub-committee
- BSc Board of studies
- MSc Board of Studies
- Vision Science Bioimaging Laboratories committee
University Committee Membership
- Cardiff University Genetic Modification Safety Committee
- University Human Tissue Act working group
- Cardiff Institute of Tissue Engineering and Repair Research Committee (2010-2013)
Member of the Association for Research and Vision Sciences and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
Member of the British Society of Matrix Biology
Member of the UK and Eire Glaucoma Society
Member of European Biomechanics Society
Innovation and Engagement:
- Registered STEMnet ambassador
- Cardiff University Brain Games 2013, National Museum, Cardiff.
- Monmouth Science Initiation: The Front & Back of the Eye, Mar and Nov 2013
- Monmouth Science Initiation: The Front & Back of the Eye, Mar 2014
- Monmouth Science Initiation: In the Blink of an Eye,’ 2010 and 2011
- Visual Neuroscience Research Institute neuroscience activities, Techniquest, 2009.
The optic nerve in 3D: Connective tissue in the young and old; ARVO 2013 symposium: Architecture of the Eye.
Moderator of Biomechanics paper session, ARVO 2013