Dr Arne Hintz
MA (Warwick), PhD (Hamburg)
Position: Lecturer (Teaching and Research)
Director MA Journalism, Media and Communications
Telephone: +44 (0)29 208 76281
Location: Room 1.38, Bute Building
Arne Hintz is a Lecturer at the Cardiff School of Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies and is Director of MA Journalism, Media and Communications and MA Digital Media and Society.
His research connects communication policy, media activism, citizen media, globalization, and technological change.
His publications include the book ‘Civil Society Media and Global Governance’ (Lit, 2009) and the co-edited volume ‘Beyond WikiLeaks: Implications for the Future of Communications, Journalism & Society’ (Palgrave, 2013), as well as chapters in volumes such as ‘The Handbook on Global Media and Communication Policy’ (Wiley-Blackwell, 2011) and the Encyclopedia of Social Movement Media (Sage, 2010).
He is Chair of the Community Communication Section of the International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR), and he has worked as a community and citizen media expert with advocacy initiatives such as the Community Media Forum Europe (CMFE) and UN processes such as the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS).
- Alternative/Citizen/Community/Social media
- Communication policy, multistakeholder/network governance, communication rights and restrictions
- Civil society and social movements, media and policy activism, participation in both media production and policy processes
- Digital media, social uses of technology, information society, internet studies
- Transnational/global processes and dimensions of media and policy
- Citizen Media (BA)
- Media, Activism and Participation (MA)
- Governing the Internet: Digital Freedoms and Restrictions (MA)