Transport touches almost every aspect of our day-to-day lives. Help face the challenge ahead for developing the transport systems of tomorrow.
The MSc Transport and Planning aims to develop in students the capability to make an effective contribution at the highest level to the planning, policy making and management of transport in both the UK and overseas. The course is unique in offering students an opportunity to study different aspects of transport (planning, operation and management) as well as other areas of urban planning in general.
Transport planning has gained a much higher public profile in recent years. This reflects increasing concerns over unbridled growth in private car use and the key problems associated with it: congestion and environmental problems both at the local level (air pollution) and global level (climate change). Within planning, the significance of the interactions between transport and wider questions of land use are increasingly recognised. The historic view that land uses happen in isolation and transport planning is essentially concerned with providing facilities has been found wanting. A wider perspective is desirable, which starts from the premise that land-use decisions both influence and are influenced by transport objectives and performance. The growing concern, national and international, with the relationship between transport, land use and the environment is reflected in the interest of academics within the School.
This MSc is professionally recognised by the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT). This means that all graduating students are exempt from the qualifying examinations of the Institute. After the relevant required periods of practical experience, they will be eligible for Membership (MILT) and Chartered Membership (CMILT) of the Institute.
The course is also recognised by the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) as a 'specialist' masters, allowing those who have completed a three year RTPI recognised undergraduate spatial planning degree to complete the RTPI's educational requirements for membership. For further details visit the Royal Town Planning Institute website.
The MSc Transport and Planning is offered as a one year full-time course.
It is divided into two parts:
Part 1 comprises a teaching programme of core and option modules over two semesters. The core modules provide the necessary analytical, economic and planning framework, while the selection of option modules provides the opportunity to study particular aspects of transport and related topics in depth.
Part 2 comprises an individual dissertation on a topic related to transport, selected in consultation with members of staff. Students have discretion to select topics over a wide area, including, for students from overseas, issues arising in their country of origin.
The following list relates to the modules for the academic year 2012/13. Please note that these may be subject to change.
- Principles of Transport Economics
- Researching Transport
- Sustainable Transport
- Tools for Transport Analysis
- Transport and the City
- Environmental Behaviours: Citizens, Consumers and Communities
- Environmental Management
- Local Food and Sustainable Development
- Space and Place: International Planning Practice
- Spatial Planning
The modules are assessed through continuous assessment (a variety of seminars, essays, project work and practical exercises) and examinations. Where required there is room for flexibility in setting alternative, comparable assessments.
For students enrolled on this degree there will be a Field Study Visit as a compulsory part of a module you will be studying. The School normally covers 33% of the cost of this trip with individual students being responsible for paying the remaining 67% by a deadline prior to departure. You will receive details of locations, costs, travel arrangements and accommodation towards the end of your first semester. Depending on the location of the FSV the cost charged to individual students can range from approximately £110 (for UK trips) to £350 (for European City trips).
The course offers the knowledge and expertise for a career in major transport planning and engineering consultancies, local authorities and transport operators.
Our Alumni collectively represent the variety of potential careers and jobs that our current (and future) students may embark on.
This MSc is suitable for graduates in geography, planning, transport, engineering, science and social science. Applicants with good degrees in other disciplines and/or mature students with a relevant professional background (e.g. MILT, MCIT, MRTPI, CEng) or qualifications will also be considered.
Applicants should normally hold a first or second class Honours degree in an appropriate subject. A minimum standard in English language of IELTS 6.5 or equivalent will be required for students whose first language is not English. Pre-course English Language tuition is available.