After practical experience working with micro-business development in Latin America, my academic background has been in international development studies; with a concentration on international trade governance and its interaction with local economies and livelihoods. Overall, my research interests include:
- Formal multi-level governance institutions for trade
- Private governance and certification systems
- Local livelihoods in the developing world (esp. risk and diversification)
- Urban and rural food systems
Innovation and engagement are always central to my research work. I developed and coordinate Fairness UK (to network academics, policy makers and practitioners working on alternative trade systems), have taken core responsibility for knowledge exchange activities (such as the 4th Fair Trade International Symposium 2012) and regulatory contribute consultancy work for national and international organisations.
- PhD, Planning and Geography, Fair trade Governance, Public Procurement and Sustainable Development: A case study of Malawian rice in Scotland,School of Planning and Geography, Cardiff University (2011).
- MPhil, Development Studies, Queen Elizabeth House, centre for International Development Studies, University of Oxford (2008).
- B.A, History and Politics (Joint equal, hons.), University of York (2005).
- Research Fellow, School of Planning and Geography, Cardiff University (Nov 2012-).
- Research Assistant, ESRC Centre for Business Relationships, Accountability, Sustainability and Society, Cardiff University (Nov 2011 – Nov 2012).
Innovation & Engagement
- Facilitator. “A Conversation about Linking Farmers to Local Buyers: Opportunities, Challenges and Successes”. United Nations, World Urban Forum. Naples. 4th September 2012.
- Principle Organiser. Additive Manufacturing Research Scoping Workshop. 13th March 2012, The Innovation Centre, Bath. Funded by the ESRC.
- Principle Organiser. 4th Fair Trade International Symposium. April 2012, Liverpool Hope University. 2nd – 4th April 2012.Funded by the European Union.
- Principle Organiser. PhD Student Development Workshop.4th Fair Trade International Symposium. 1st April 2012, Liverpool Hope. Funded by ESRC, BRASS centre, Cardiff University.
- Principle Organiser. “Uniting Research, Policy and Practice in Fair Trade: A Knowledge Exchange Workshop. 20th & 21st April 2009, St Michael’s College, Llandaff, Cardiff. ESRC Funded.
- Director. Fairness UK: A Knowledge Exchange Network.
- Inaugural, annual, Fair Trade Lecture, "Continuing the Legacy of Livingstone: The contribution of fair trade to international development", hosted by the Scottish Fair Trade Forum. 27th February 2013. New College, Edinburgh University.
- Debat Participant. International Affairs Symposium, Global Rifts: Dynamic Relationships, among States, Societies and the World System, 2012 Lewis & Clark College, Portland USA, “Which Price is Right? The Implications of Free and Fair Trade for Global Development”.
- Plenary Speaker. Wales for Africa International Development Summit, organised by SIMOD. Cardiff City Football Stadium. Cardiff. 6th June 2011.
- Invited Speaker. “Performance and Legitimacy of Fair Trade in Public Procurement Supply Chains”, British Academy Funded, Performance and Legitimacy in Social Enterprises. 3rd-4th March 2011. HEC Management School, University of Liege, Belgium.
- Session Chair. The Big Food Debate: Fair Trade, Sustainable Food and Climate Change. “Value chain upgrading” and “Public Procurement”. Abergavenny. 16th September 2010.
- Plenary Speaker. Fair Trade and Co-operatives: A Match Made in Heaven?” seminar, organised by the Co-operative College, Manchester. The Co-op Bank, London. 25th March 2010.
- Plenary Speaker. Wales for Africa International Development Summit, organised by SIMOD. Holland House Hotel. Cardiff. 8th March 2010.
- Coordinator. Talking Head Videos, “Uniting Research, Policy and Practice in Fair Trade: A Knowledge Exchange Workshop”. Online at YouTube.com. December 2009.
- Technical Briefing on Fair and Ethical Trade for Women in the Informal Economy, Globalising and Organising (WIEGO). September 2012.
- Adnams Case Study. S A Partners. October/November 2011.
Overview of Fair and Ethical Trade for Women in the Informal Economy, Globalising and Organising (WIEGO). June 2010.
- Overview of Fair Trade for Oxford Analytica. May 2010.
- Report on Cooperation for Fair Trade in Africa (COFTA) Conference 2010. Swaziland. Imani Development, Scotland. May 2010.
- Lead author for the Fairtrade Foundation publication: Egalite, Fraternite, Sustainabilite: Why the climate revolution must be a fair revolution. November 2009.
- Guest Lecturer. "Social Enterprise", Strategic Marketing-Marketing & Society. Cardiff Business School, Cardiff University.
- Lecturer on Development and Urbanisation Process (CPT781), International Planning and Development (MSc).
- Guest Lecturer. "Smart Cities", Planning City Futures (CPT866), International Planning and Development (MSc).
- Lecturer on Space and Place: International Planning Practice (CPT870), International Planning and Development (MSc).
- Guest Lecturer. “Local Food Systems Versus Fair Trade: competing Narratives of Sustainable Development”, Local Food and Sustainable Development (CPT864), Sustainability, Planning and Environmental Policy (MSc).
Previous Teaching Experience
- Guest Lecturer. “Corporate Social Responsibility”, and “Social Responsible Reporting”, Ecological Management, Sustainability, Planning and Environmental Policy MSc). 2010 & 2011, School of City and Regional Planning, Cardiff University.
- Guest Lecturer. “Cause Related Marketing”, Strategic Marketing-Marketing & Society. 2011, Business School, Cardiff University.
- Tutor. Economic Principles of City and Regional Planning, 1st Year BSc Human Geography and Planning. Autumn Term 2011, School of City and Regional Planning, Cardiff University.
- Tutor. Academic Skills, 1st Year BSc Human Geography and Planning (focusing on globalisation and international development. Autumn Term 2010, School of City and Regional Planning, Cardiff University.
- Seminar Leader. Sustainability in Practice (MSc.). Spring Term 2010, School of City and Regional Planning, Cardiff University.
I also have extensive experience as a Teacher of English as a Foreign Language (TEFL).