Why did you choose Cardiff University as a place to study?
Liked the city.
What was the best thing about your time as a student at Cardiff?
The people I met.
What thing or person inspired you most whilst you were a Cardiff University student?
The course I followed, and the societies I joined.
What one thing would you tell someone else about the School of Geography and Planning at Cardiff?
It has an excellent library and facilities and knowledgeable and insightful lecturers.
How did your degree most help you in the career or job you have now chosen?
There was an emphasis on research and statistics, and a lot of independent learning involved.
Tell us a bit about your current job, how you got into what you are doing and what you enjoy about it most.
The job requires me to research into the S4C audience, and my ability to speak Welsh is essential to this post.
I thoroughly enjoyed the research dissertation I prepared for my final year, and decided I wanted a career out of research from that. As I knew I didn't want an academic career, this job as a research officer has given me the opportunity to develop my passion for research, whilst still getting paid!
What opportunities do you feel have opened up to you as a result of being a student at the School of Geography and Planning?
The opportunity to do a research project in the final year, as well as several role playing situations prepared me well for the field of work. I was also given the opportunity to follow work placements through the university: One with Cardiff Council; the other with the Countryside Council for Wales. I enjoyed these experiences immensely, and they certainly prepared me for life after university, and something that made me stand out whilst applying for jobs. Without having completed my course at the SchooI I would not have secured these work placements.
Tell us any interesting facts about yourself, hobbies or interests that you have.
- I am a skilled piano, flute and harp player. Attained Grade 8 at piano, and Grade 6 standard whilst studying the harp and flute as second instruments.
- Employed from time to time as a background musician at the Castell Deudraeth, Portmeirion luxury Hotel.
- *Serious* collector of modern music of all kinds, as well as a keen Cardiff gig-goer!
- Enthusiastic member of Llangefni Youth Farmers Club; completed and came to the top, representing the county in the Royal Welsh Show, Builth Wells in the *Stars In Their Eyes* competition!
- Fervent interest in national, social current affairs and international politics. Especially the development of cities in terms of cultural identity and community values.
- I am a keen reader of broadsheet and tabloid newspapers, and a consistent listener to radio services provided by BBC Radio Cymru and Radio Wales, and television news programmes.
- Experience of participating in several national public speaking competitions, representing my county, which reflect my confident and enthusiastic personality.