Before your appointment
Learn how to make an appointment, along with what you'll need to do before your scan takes place.
Once your doctor has submitted the referral, we'll call you to arrange an appointment.
We want you to feel at ease during your visit, so to make sure we're properly prepared, we'd like to learn a little more about you.
During the initial call, we will ask:
- if you've had chemotherapy within the last two weeks
- if you've had radiotherapy or surgery within the last three months
- if have had a recent infection
- if you are pregnant, breast feeding or have young children
- are diabetic
- your weight
- if you suffer from claustrophobia
- if you are allergic to X-ray contrast agents
- if you're unable to lie flat with no more than two pillows.
Before your scan takes place, it is important that you:
- are prepared to be in the clinic for at least two hours
- take any prescribed medicines as usual unless we have advised you not to
- avoid drinks, cold remedies and medicines that contain caffeine at least 12 hours prior to your scan
- wear loose and comfortable clothing.
Please do not:
- eat or drink anything, except water, for six hours before your appointment time
- exercise for 24 hours prior to your scan
- wear jewellery belts or other metallic objects.
We will also telephone you the day before your scan to make sure you are still available to attend and discuss any concerns.
If you're feeling nervous
If you suffer from anxiety or are extremely nervous about your scan, please contact your local GP. They will be able to prescribe medication to help you relax.
Please bring your prescription with you to the clinic. Please also arrange for someone to accompany you home after the scan, as it is not recommended that you drive when taking this medication.
Rescheduling your scan
Our unique radioactive injection is specially prepared each morning and will go through a very complex process. On rare occasions, this injection may not pass our strict quality controls.
If this is the case, we will have to delay or reschedule your appointment. We will try and contact you as early as possible to let you know to avoid any inconvenience.
If you have any worries or concerns, please contact our friendly reception team who will be more than happy to help: