An Introduction to Hair and Nail Dermoscopy
Dermoscopy is a non-invasive, widely used diagnostic tool that aids the diagnosis of dermatological skin and skin appendages’ conditions.
Hair and Nail Dermoscopy, also known as “Trichoscopy” and “Onychoscopy” respectively, is a newly evolving field in dermoscopy that has helped to diagnose pigmented and non-pigmented lesions of the nails and numerous conditions of the hair and scalp.
Register your interest
There are currently no upcoming dates available for this course, but you can register your interest by getting in touch.
Who it’s for
This 16-week online course is designed specifically for doctors who are involved in the care of dermatology patients with hair and nail lesions, and who wish to learn more about dermoscopy of skin appendages to improve their skill in the diagnosis of hair and nail disorders. The course is also for specialist nurses actively working in skin clinics, subject to appropriate qualification.
What you’ll learn
This programme aims to develop competency in using a dermatoscope to:
- understanding the normal Trichoscopic features of the scalp and hair
- understanding the normal Onychoscopic features of the nails
- differentiate different types of non-cicatricial alopecia
- differentiate different types of cicatricial alopecia
- assist in the diagnosis of hair and scalp conditions in individuals with pigmented scalp
- differentiate traumatic, infective and inflammatory nail disorders
- differentiate benign and malignant nail tumours
- assist in the diagnosis of some pigmented nail lesions.
Eight topics have been written by leading dermatologists in the field of dermoscopy. Participants are expected to complete a topic every two weeks.
Features of the course include:
- detailed topic materials with real case photographs
- module quizzes (with immediate performance feedback) for each module
- live interactive expert lectures using Adobe Connect© software
- group discussion forums led by expert tutors
- collaborative learning is strongly encouraged
- participants will be able to discuss challenging or interesting cases that they encounter in their own practice (camera recommended)
- tutors will also share cases for discussion from their clinics
- forums aim to enable students to learn from each other and receive feedback from tutors.
Each topic is accompanied by a set of multiple choice questions. Participants are required to complete the questions before progressing to the next topic. Participants who meet these requirements will be eligible for the final examination.
At the end of the course, an online examination will provide the basis for the summative assessment. Participants who are successful in completing the final examination will be awarded a certificate of completion.
Applicants must fulfil all of the following criteria to be considered eligible for this course:
- hold a medical degree
- see patients with skin lesions regularly
- have an excellent command of English
- own or have access to a computer with high speed internet.
You do not need to have completed a previous dermatology or dermoscopy course, but some knowledge of dermatology is required in order to participate effectively.
Access to a dermatoscope is highly recommended in order to participate in this course. Access to a camera to share your dermatoscopic images with the online community is also recommended but not essential.
This is an entirely online course, run over 16 weeks, with online assessments.
- Learn flexibly, in your own time.
- Gain insights into the latest techniques from international experts in the field of trichoscopy and onychoscopy, who write the topics for this course.
- Experience live interactive expert lectures.
- Work and learn collaboratively with your peers from across the world in group discussion forums led by expert tutors.
Cancellations, substitutions and transfers
This course is an 'exceptional' course in terms of our cancellation, substitution and transfer policy. The following is a summary of the exceptional terms that apply to this course. Please see our terms and conditions for full details.
|Number of working days' notice||% of course fees payable|
|Over 20||£50 administrative fee|
|20-1||In the event that we cannot fill your booking: 70%, plus any costs incurred for any pre-course materials already sent to the delegate or Client, unless the materials are returned to us within 10 Working Days and in brand new condition.|
|Number of working days' notice||Fee payable|
|Under 15||This will be classed as a cancellation and the cancellation fee will apply.|
|Number of working days' notice||Fee payable|
|Over 20||£50 plus any differences in fees between the two courses|
|Under 20||This will be classed as a cancellation and the cancellation fee will apply.|