Funded medical courses
Funded medical courses, which are free for delegates to attend.
Looking after yourselves and others
11:00 - 12:00, Monday 21 September
Topics covered will include practical tips for healthy eating, your wellbeing, and there will be an introduction to techniques such as mindfulness and stress management. There will be an opportunity for questions and discussions.
I don’t think he’s getting better – what can I say? What can I do?
Dr Fiona Rawlinson
11:00 - 12:00, Friday 25 September
This live webinar, delivered by Cardiff University’s Dr Fiona Rawlinson, will include having difficult conversations about illness and grief, including an opportunity for questions and discussions.
Community Oncology - kindly funded by Macmillan
Cancer treatments are at their most effective and patients have the most options, the earlier a diagnosis is made. The complications of cancer and its treatment need early recognition and management to improve safety and outcomes.
This course is a response to the need for increasing the awareness of community health care practitioners about cancer - recognition, diagnosis and referral.
Who it’s for
Suitable for all community healthcare practitioners.
What you’ll learn
During the face-to-face day delegates will gain the knowledge and skills to positively impact patient care – diagnosis, communication, community management and timely referral to appropriate patient pathway.
- What is important to patients
- Why primary care teams matter
- The journey and transition points – from person to patient, from cure to control, from active treatment to follow-up, and end of life care
- Treatments, side effects and impact on the patient and cancer
- Care based workshop – supporting patients going through these treatments
- Red flag situations and how to manage them
- Care based workshop – supporting patients and families in these situations
- Successful communication skills – the Cardiff six point toolkit
- How will your practice develop, what changes will you make?
Delegates will benefit from discussion and interaction with those working in oncology and palliative care.
Sessions will be included with delegates contributing:
- Individual impact statements on areas they wish to develop
- Individual statements on how they intend to develop their team knowledge (shared practice).