Dr Robert Wilson
I am a Senior Lecturer in Mathematics (Teaching and Scholarship), and have been an academic member of staff in the School of Mathematics since 2001. My specific roles have included University Dean for Education Innovation (and academic lead for the inaugural Cardiff University Centre for Education Innovation), Director of Learning and Teaching for the School of Mathematics, and Co-ordinator of the University-wide Mathematics Support Service. I am a National Teaching Fellow of Advance H.E., and a board member of the National Network for Excellence in Mathematics (NNEM), and the national sigma network steering group (Network for Excellence in Mathematics and Statistics Support).
I am interested in all aspects of learning, in particular mathematics education that focuses on the development of active and engaging learning environments.
- 2001 - present: School of Mathematics, Cardiff University
Honours and Awards
- Advance HE National Teaching Fellowship Award (July 2019).
- Cardiff University Celebrating Excellence Award, Excellence in Teaching and Scholarship (shortlisted, 2019).
- School of Mathematics Student Awards, Most Influential Member of Staff in the Final Year (2017).
- Vice Chancellor Award, Enriching Student Life Awards (shortlisted, 2016).
- Cardiff University Outstanding Contribution Award (2015).
- Cardiff University Celebrating Excellence Award, Exceptional Enhancement of the Student Experience (shortlisted, 2014).
- Most uplifting Staff Member, Enriching Student Life Awards (shortlisted, 2013).
- National sigma prize for outstanding contribution in the field of mathematics and statistics support (2012).
- Staff Member that has made the biggest difference to the student experience, Enriching Student Life Awards (2011).
- External examiner, London Metropolitan University (2019-present)
- External assessor, Exeter University, MSc Mathematical Modelling programmes (2019).
- External assessor, Bath University, Mathematics and Statistics Help – MASH (2018).
- Editor of MSOR Connections. A peer-reviewed research journal that disseminates work relating to innovative learning, teaching, assessment and support in Mathematics, Statistics and Operational Research in H.E. (2015-present).
- Reviewer for the Advance HE STEM conference (2018 & 2019),
- Reviewer for the IMA journal, Teaching Mathematics and its Applications.
- National Network for Excellence in Mathematics (NNEM), Welsh Government, (2018-present).
- National sigma Network Steering Group (2017-present).
- Cardiff University Academic Standards and Quality Committee (2018-present)
- Chair of Mathematics Extenuating Circumstances Panel (2015-present)
- Member of PVC Student Experience Advisory Panel/Student Engagement and Strategy Group (2015-18).
- Chair of Mathematics Board of Studies, and Learning and Teaching Committee (2010-15).Member of the University Regulations sub-committee (2011-13).
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Education and Qualifications
- Post Graduate Certificate of University Teaching and Learning (PgCUTL), Cardiff University (2007)
- PhD Mathematics – Non Self Adjoint Difference Operators in a Hilbert Space, Cardiff University (2001)
- BSc Mathematics (1st Class), Swansea University (1997)
To maintain a focus on learning; providing opportunity for all students to reach their potential through exploring and investigating mathematical concepts in an active, safe but challenging environment.
- MA2004 Series and Transforms
- MA2900 Problem Solving
- MA3901 Introduction to Secondary School Mathematics Teaching
- MA0391 Project
Scholarship and External Engagement
- Head of the Mathematics Education Research Group (MERG).
- Organiser of IMA Learning and Teaching Series Workshop, Effective feedback in mathematics: provision and student engagement (2019).
- Member of the organising committee for the annual CETL-MSOR conference, including hosting the event at Cardiff University in 2014. (2018-present).
- Academic lead for Mathematics strand of the Phoenix Project (partnership with University of Namibia); one of Cardiff University’s five flagship engagement projects (2015-18).
- Cardiff University lead for the first ever ACODE-UK Technology Enhanced Learning Benchmarking Summit (2017)
 Australasian Council for Open, Distance and E-learning
- sigma Network Workshop, Coventry University. “Quality assurance for a mathematics support service.” (2019)
- Chemistry Education Symposium, Cardiff University. “Motivation, Mind-set, and Mathematics.” (2019)
- Annual International CETL-MSOR Conference, Glasgow University. “Embedding the practice of teaching mathematics in an undergraduate mathematics degree programme.” (2018)
- Annual International CETL-MSOR Conference, Glasgow University. “Comparison of student engagement in traditional and active learning environment.” (2018)
- Advance HE Teaching & Learning Conference, Aston University, “Supporting the transition to university Mathematics in sub-Saharan Africa.” (2018)
I am interested in supervising PhD students in the area of Higher Education Mathematics Learning and Teaching.