Dr John Rees
BSc, MB BCh, FRCR
Clinical Director, Wales Research and Diagnostic PET Imaging Centre
I was appointed consultant radiologist with a special interest in nuclear medicine at the University Hospital of Wales in 1991.
A Welsh-speaking native of Ammanford in West Wales, I graduated at the Welsh National School of Medicine in 1984, before embarking on a career in diagnostic radiology.
I obtained my fellowship in radiology in 1989, and underwent specialist training in nuclear medicine at Hammersmith Hospital and Guys & St Thomas’ Hospital, London. Further specialist PET/CT experience was gained at UCLA, California in 2003.
I provided a mobile PET scanning service in Cardiff to serve the patients of South Wales between 2004 and 2007. I was heavily involved with the design and development of the Wales Research and Diagnostic PET Imaging Centre from its inception, before it opened its doors in September 2010 as the first and only fixed site PET/CT scanning facility in Wales.
I am the lead trainer of a nationally accredited nuclear medicine training programme in Cardiff which I established in 1999. I have an active role on several national nuclear medicine committees.
I undertake extensive collaborative research work with colleagues, and currently hold research certificates for over 20 ongoing nuclear medicine projects.
The Wales Research and Diagnostic PET Imaging Centre has gained NCRI (National Cancer Research Institute) accreditation for PET/CT trials, and many trials use PET as a powerful tool to assess new chemotherapy agents for lymphoma and prostate cancer, reflecting my lead imaging role in these multidisciplinary teams.
I have been a major local contributor to prostate cancer trial success in Cardiff for many years, including the ProtecT trial, the UK’s largest trial of treatment for early prostate cancer, which looked at the impact of various treatments for prostate cancer over a 10 year period.
- Rees JI, Whyte AM. Portal hypertension with a large spontaneous spleno-renal shunt in the absence of splenomegaly. Clin Radiol. 1989 Jul;40(4):431-3. PubMed PMID: 2667849.
- Hayward MW, Lyons K, Ennis WP, Rees J. Radiography of the paranasal sinuses--one or three views? Clin Radiol. 1990 Mar;41(3):163-4. PubMed PMID:2323162.
- Rees JI, Evans C. Imaging after renal transplantation. Clin Radiol. 1991, Jan;43(1):4-7. PubMed PMID: 1999071.
- Lewis SL, Rees JI, Thomas GV, Williams LA. Pitfalls of bone scintigraphy in suspected hip fractures. Br J Radiol. 1991 May;64(761):403-8. PubMed PMID: 2036561.
- Hughes JP, Rees JI, Facey P, Robinson DA. Scintigraphic demonstration of a blind loop following surgery for Crohn's disease--the value of Tc-99m HMPAO white cell scanning. Clin Nucl Med. 1994 May;19(5):469-70. PubMed PMID: 8039331.
- Byrne PA, Rees JI, Williams BD. Iliopsoas bursitis-an unusual presentation of metastatic bone disease. Br J Rheumatol. 1996 Mar;35(3):285-8. PubMed PMID:8620306.
- Seymour R, Rees J, Sharma AK, Wheeler MH. Paget's disease of the sternum simulating an ectopic adenoma on parathyroid scintigraphy. Clin Nucl Med. 1997 Sep;22(9):621-4. PubMed PMID: 9298296.
- Shah DB, Cosgrove M, Rees JI, Jenkins HR. The technetium white cell scan as an initial imaging investigation for evaluating suspected childhood inflammatory bowel disease. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 1997 Nov;25(5):524-8. PubMed PMID:9360207.
- Comparison of Stabilised and Unstabilised 99m Tc HMPAO for White Cell Labelling J.M. Jones, G.W. Middleton, J.H. Pearce, J.I.S. Rees J.H.Williams, A.R. Richards The Eighth International Society of Radiolabelled Blood Elements (ISORBE) Congress, May 1997, Rome, Italy, Nuclear Medicine Communications (1997) 18: 482 – 483
- Seymour R, Williams LA, Rees JI, Lyons K, Lloyd DC. Magnetic resonance imaging of acute intraosseous disc herniation. Clin Radiol. 1998 May;53(5):363-8. PubMed PMID: 9630276.
- Poynton CH, Barnes RA, Rees J. Interferon gamma and granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor for the treatment of hepatosplenic candidosis in patients with acute leukemia. Clin Infect Dis. 1998 Jan;26(1):239-40. PubMed, PMID: 9455573.
- Goringe AP, Brown S, O'Callaghan U, Rees J, Jebb S, Elia M, Poynton CH. Glutamine and vitamin E in the treatment of hepatic veno-occlusive disease following high-dose chemotherapy. Bone Marrow Transplant. 1998 Apr;21(8):829-32. PubMed PMID: 9603409.
- Hodder SC, Rees JI, Oliver TB, Facey PE, Sugar AW. SPECT bone scintigraphy in the diagnosis and management of mandibular condylar hyperplasia. Br J Oral, Maxillofac Surg. 2000 Apr;38(2):87-93. PubMed PMID: 10864700.
- Spincter of Oddi dyskinesia: role of cholecystokinin cholescintigraphy, R.H. Ganatra, J.Rees, R.Kerwat, B.W.Lawrie, L.Perron, British Nuclear Medicine Society Autumn Meeting, September 1999, Nottingham, Nuclear Medicine Communications (2000) 21: 211
- Ganatra RH, Haniffa MA, Hawthorne AB, Rees JI. Aortoenteric fistula complicating an infected aortic graft: diagnosis by leukocyte scintigraphy. Clin Nucl Med. 2001 Sep;26(9):800-1. PubMed PMID: 11507311.
- The value of magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis of transient pregnancy induced osteoporosis. Wilson OM, Bhal PS & Rees JIS, Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology (2001) No 1 21 p74-75
- Continuous sincalide infusion to measure the gallbladder ejection fraction: a suitable replacement for CCK? Ganatra RH, Facey P, Bartley L, Davies A, Barnes, M and Rees JIS, Nuclear Medicine Communications (2001) 22(4): 441
- Cholescintigraphy with CCK augmentation: a national survey of current practice. Ganatra RH, Facey P, Bartley L, Davies A and Rees JIS, Nuclear Medicine Communications (2001) 22(4): 441
- Complimentary use of preoperative lymphoscintigraphy and the intraoperative gamma detector probe in localising the sentinel lymph node in breast cancer. Ganatra RH, Clarke D, Facey P, Evans WD, Rees JIS and Mansel R. Nuclear Medicine Communications (2001) 22 (4): 459
- Thyroid hemiagenesis with Graves’ thyrotoxicosis: the role of radioiodine therapy. Obuobie K, Cozma LS, Rees J, Lazarus JH. Romanian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism (2002) Vol 1, No 3 97-100
- Back Pain. Seymour R & Rees JIS. In: Nuclear Medicine in Radiological Diagnosis. Ed. A Michael Peters. Martin Dunitz (2003) 3 – 37
- Evaluation of a rapid method for the preparation of Tc99m HMPAO Leucocytes, J.M.Jones, J.H.Pearce, J.I.Rees, L.E. Bartley, Society of Nuclear Medicine – Annual Meeting, June 2004, Philadelphia, USA, Journal of Nuclear Medicine 2004 45:482
- The Clinical Value of SPECT/CT Fusion using a Hybrid Gamma Camera, L.E. Bartley, P Facey, J.M.Jones, P. Fielding, J.I.S. Rees, Society of Nuclear Medicine – Annual Meeting, June 2005, Toronto, Canada, Journal of Nuclear Medicine 2005 46: 5 515
- The role of SPECT/CT in the evaluation of the painful ankle and foot. Nuclear Medicine Communications. 27(3):299, March 2006. Fielding, P.A.; Rees, J.I.S.; Bartley, L.E.; Facey, P.E.; Jones, J.
- Sentinel Lymph Node Imaging in Clinical Nuclear Medicine. Allan R, Rees JIS & Ganatra RH In: Clinical Nuclear Medicine 4th Edition Eds Maisey, Britton, Cook, Chengazi. Hodder Arnold, London. (2006) pp121 – 139
- Gunatunga I, Facey P, Bartley L, Rees J, Singh S, Fielding P. Perinephric urinoma secondary to perforated UPJ obstruction diagnosed using Tc-99m mercaptoacetyltriglycine (MAG3) SPECT/CT. Clin Nucl Med. 2007 Apr;32(4):317-9. PubMed PMID: 17413586.
- Role of labelled white cell scintigraphy with SPECT/CT in inflammatory bowel disease, Rachapalli V, Goyal N, Bartley L, Facey P, Rees J I S, British Nuclear Medicine Society, Autumn Meeting, London. September 2007. Nuclear Medicine Communications (2007) 28 958
- Labelled leukocyte imaging with SPECT/CT in diagnosing osteomyelitis in the diabetic foot, Trautner M, Facey P, Rees J I S, British Nuclear Medicine Society, Autumn Meeting, London. September 2007. Nuclear Medicine Communications (2007) 28 960
- Pictorial review of the value of SPECT/CT in the investigation of pelvic pressure sores. V Rachapalli, C O’Donnell, N Goyal, R Kishore, L Bartley, P Facey & J I S Rees, Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), Chicago, USA. December 2007
- Singh S, Gunatunga I, Bartley L, Facey P, Rees J, Fielding P. Paraspinal extramedullary hematopoiesis diagnosed using Tc-99m sulfur colloid. Clin Nucl Med. 2008 Nov;33(11):794-6. PubMed PMID: 18936619.
- Griffiths G, Rees J. Too old to exercise? Unusual muscular uptake on 99mTc methylene diphosphonate bone scintigraphy. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2008 Oct;69(10):592. PubMed PMID: 18949952.
- Experience with Stabilised 99mTc HMPAO for Leukocyte Labelling. J M Jones, G W Middleton, J H Pearce, L Bartley, P Facey & J I S Rees, Society of Nuclear Medicine (SNM), Annual Meeting, June 2008, New Orleans, USA
- Rachapalli V, Goyal N, Bartley L, Facey P, Rees JI. Role of labeled white cell scintigraphy with SPECT/CT in Crohn disease. Clin Nucl Med. 2009, Dec;34(12):902-5. PubMed PMID: 20139828.
- Coulson JM, Rudd JH, Duckers JM, Rees JI, Shale DJ, Bolton CE, Cockcroft JR. Excessive aortic inflammation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: an 18F-FDG PET pilot study. J Nucl Med. 2010 Sep;51(9):1357-60. Epub 2010 Aug 18. Erratum in: J Nucl Med. 2010 Nov;51(11):1804. PubMed PMID: 20720052.
- Vetri Sudar Jayaprakasam, Patrick Fielding, John Rees, Matthew Talboys, Philip Facey, Lee Bartley, Chris O'callaghan, and Abby Griffiths Can "time of flight" reconstruction algorithms be used to reduce administered dose or acquisition time in F-18 positron emission tomography? A phantom studyJ. NUCL. Med. MEETING ABSTRACTS, May 2011; 52: 2000.
- Radionuclide Lymphoscintigraphy of the Lower Limb: A Pictorial Review. C Sullivan, V S Jayaprakasam, C O’Callaghan, A Griffiths, L Bartley, P Facey & J I S Rees. BIR 2010 UK Radiological Congress abstracts, p81-82, 2010
- Jayaprakasam, V. Trainer, V. Fielding, P. Rees, J FDG PET/CT in endometrial carcinoma: a pictorial review. BIR 2011 UKRC abstracts p95-96 2011
- Trainer, V. J. Jayaprakasam, V. S. Rees, J. I. Fielding, P. A. The value of 18F-FDG PET/CT in the evaluation of patients with cervical carcinoma: a pictorial review. BIR 2011 UKRC abstracts p96 2011
- Clayton, A. E. Trainer, V. J. Litton, K. J. Rees, J. I. Fielding, P. A. The role of 18F-FDG PET/CT in ovarian malignancy: a pictorial review. BIR 2011 UKRC abstracts p96 2011
- Khirwadkar, H, Rees J, Jayaprakasam S, Fielding, P. Does high serum glucose really predict poor image quality in FDG PET/CT? Annual Congress of the European Association of Nuclear Medicine, Birmingham, October 2011. Eur J Nucl Mol Imaging (2011) 38 , 388-389
- Correlation between obesity and SUVmax values in PET-CT – does size matter? A Chander, C. Leung, V S Jayaprakasam, P Fielding & J Rees. BNMS Spring Meeting, Harrogate May 2012
- Chander A, Jayaprakasam V, Fielding PA, Rees J. Histopathological correlation of colorectal liver metastases detected on PET-CT, a tertiary centre experience. British Nuclear Medicine Society, Autumn Meeting, Oxford Sept 2012. Nuclear Medicine Communications (2012) 33 1106
- Leung C, Jayaprakasam VS, Fielding PA, Rees JI. Impact of PET-CT in early oesophageal carcinomas – a review. British Nuclear Medicine Society, Autumn Meeting, Oxford Sept 2012. Nuclear Medicine Communications (2012) 33 1107
- Bartley L, Manimaran S, Facey P, Rees J, Jayaprakasam V, Marshall C, Fielding P. In house FDG production versus a remote FDG supply: implications for a clinical PET/CT service. British Nuclear Medicine Society, Autumn Meeting, Oxford Sept 2012. Nuclear Medicine Communications (2012) 33 1111
- Sanchez-Roa P, Fielding P, Rees J, Facey P, Bartley L & Daniels S. Global vascular risk in advanced CAD assessed by 18FDG PET-CT. Annual Congress of the European Association of Nuclear Medicine, Milan, Italy. October 2012 Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging (2012) 39 , 250-251
- Sanchez-Roa P, Rees J, Nash J & Chander A. FDG PET in the early diagnosis of large-vessel vasculitis. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging (2013) June 40 (6): 974-5 PubMed PMID: 23613105.
- Hopkins E, Devenish G, Evans G, Leopold G, Rees J, Parry-Jones N. Subcutaneous seeding of “double hit” diffuse large B-cell lymphoma from staging bone marrow biopsy. Br J Haematol, 2014 Sep: 166 (5): 635. PubMed PMID: 24935518