Lecturer in Hispanic Studies, Programme Director for Languages for All
In 2002 I graduated from Cardiff University with a Master in Literature in European Cultures. Previous to this, I worked at South Cheshire College as Spanish Language Assistant and then at Cirencester College as a Spanish Lecturer, where I taught GCSE and A level Spanish.
I joined the Hispanic Studies Department at Cardiff University in 2002, after my Master’s completion. I am currently teaching Spanish language and Translation modules at undergraduate and postgraduate level, I am also final year Spanish language coordinator, Year abroad coordinator for second year and Assessment and Feedback Champion.
I joined the Hispanic Department at Cardiff University after completing the MA in Literature in European Cultures offered by the School of European Studies. From September 2002 to the present day, I have been involved in the teaching of a number of courses within the Spanish Section across all year groups 1, 2 and 4.
Prior to that I was a Spanish Lecturer at Cirencester College where I taught A’ Level and AS Spanish for Sixth Form students, GCSE and adult classes . I have also been an examiner for Edexcel and WJCB Examination Boards and I worked as a freelance translator for Sotheby’s.
I have published two books, ¡Es Español! and Juguemos todos juntos . These books are aimed to provide primary teachers with resources and activities to make the study of Spanish interesting and fun for pupils. These books have been co-authored with Kathy Williams and published by Brilliant Publications.
The focus of my research centres on Female Fictional Representations of the Spanish Civil War and Post War Spain and Pedagogy of Language Teaching.
Honours and awards
- Most Inspiring Teacher Award. School of Modern Languages, 2019
Successful Grant Applications
- Cardiff University Education Innovation Fund: Call 4 (2018-19)
- Cardiff University Education Innovation Fund: Call 3 (2017-18)
Administrative and pastoral duties
- Year 4 Language Coordinator
- Year Abroad Coordinator for Spanish (year 2)
- Personal Tutor
- Assessment and Feedback Champion.
During my time at Cardiff University I have taught in all language courses from year 1 beginners to final year, though I currently teach the following modules.
- High-level Proficiency in Spanish -Module Convenor
- The World and Language of Business Spanish
- Intercalary Semester Abroad. Work Placement
- Intercalary Semester Abroad. Study Abroad (Autumn)
- Intercalary Semester Abroad. Work Placement (Spring)
- Intercalary Semester Abroad. Study Abroad (Spring)
- Specialised Translation Politics and Law
- Specialised Language Business Administration
- Second Language Acquisition
My research interests lie in the fields of Literature, specially women´s writing in contemporary Spanish literature and pedagogy in foreign language teaching and learning.
Listed below are my publications and conference papers to date:
- Borin Bonillo, E and Rubio Arribas, B, 2019. The provision of meaningful and comprehensive feedback with Digital Self-Marking tools on Grammatical Exercises. Presented at: Sixth Colloquium on Innovation in Modern Languages Education, Exeter, UK, 21 June 2019.
- Sanz Mingo, C.et al. 2018. The two Spains: 1936 onwards for A Level Spanish.. ZigZag Education.
- Broderick, C. and Rubio Arribas, B. 2018. MLANG Student Partnership in Module Design funded by the Centre for Education Innovation. Presented at: ELE in Éirinn Primer Simposio Internacional sobre Enseñanza de Español como Lengua Extranjera, NUI Galway, Ireland, 24-25 August 2018
- Broderick, C. and Rubio Arribas, B. 2018. ¿Cómo se incluye a los estudiantes en el diseño de un módulo? La promoción de aprendizaje “activo” a través de prácticas reflexivas. Presented at: CEI (Centre for Education Innovation) Summer Conference “Education Innovation in Practice”, Cardiff University, UK, 3 July 2018.
- Sanz Mingo, C.et al. 2017. TECLA Taqra. Conoce la Facultad de Lenguas Modernas de la Universidad de Cardiff. TECLA. Revista de la Consejería de Educación en el Reino Unido e Irlanda 3, pp. 5-7.
- Munguía Peacock, B. and Rubio Arribas, B. 2017. The provision of real time feedback in language classes through the use of classroom technology. Presented at: ELE-UK 2017 Annual Conference, Glasgow, UK, 15-16 June 2017.
- Williams, K. and Rubio Arribas, B. 2006. Juguemos Todos Juntos, Brilliant Publications.
- Williams, K. and Rubio Arribas, B. 2004. ¡Es Español!, Brilliant Publications.