Dr Sarju Patel
Senior Lecturer, Associate Dean for Equality, Diversity & inclusion
I have been fortunate to have a wide exposure to equality, diversity and inclusion in my role and school. From events that happen in the school and society and my role working with student, I have recently developed a passion for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (EDI). I have been exposed to EDI in my roles, as CBL facilitator, personal tutor, deputy year director, a teacher and a member of Cardiff University. In my roles I observe how diverse the community is and the various needs and support systems that are required. To support this, I have taken up several committee leadership roles, as Deputy Chair of the C4ME EDI Committee, lead on the Black and Minority Ethnic (BAME) Attainment Task & Finish group and the co-chair of the Student Staff Race Equality Task Group and more recently, as the Associate Dean for Equality, Diversity & inclusion, College of Biological and Life Sciences. These roles and responsibilities have supported me in making policy changes as well as the education of students and colleagues on the importance of EDI for us all.
I am a Senior Lecturer in the Centre for Medical Education with over 25 years of teaching and research experience. I obtained my PhD in 1996 and have worked for Cardiff University all my working life, first as a researcher and since 2016 as an educator in the Medical School. My responsibilities within the medical course mean I play a key role in the design, delivery, and assessment of the undergraduate medical curriculum.
Since joining the Centre for Medical Education in 2016, I have been appointed to several leadership roles detailed previously. Within my roles, I have shown a track record of developing and supporting staff, academic and professional services, and students. I aim to build their competencies in a compassionate and inclusive way. I have also taken on significant projects such as the integration of the C21 Medical course in North Wales, a project I administered and enhanced for teaching and students which led to a 6-month secondment as the Year 2 Lead Bangor University.
In addition to these roles, my beliefs and work ethics to enable fairness, respect, truthfulness and equality for my colleagues and the students have facilitated my appointment to the role of Associate Dean for Equality, Diversity & inclusion for the College of Biological and Life Sciences. In this role, I have been fortunate to be able to lead on projects and develop policies that help create an inclusive, equitable and respectful environment and culture in which to work and study.
In addition to my roles and responsibilities for our current students, I in collaboration with Cardiff University’s Community Gateway project have developed and delivered the Promoting Academic Excellence (PACE) project since 2018. The project works with schools whose pupils are from widening access backgrounds, with the hope of inspiring these pupils to consider University as an option and view careers within the healthcare professions as a reachable goal.
Honours and awards
- Recognition for Changing my life. Centre for Medical Education Recognition Awards - Nomination - 2022
- Recognition for never failing to stand-up for students giving them a voice to change things within the medical school that are unjust. Centre for Medical Education Recognition Awards - Nomination - 2022
- Recognition for being incredibly supportive throughout Year 2. Centre for Medical Education Recognition Awards - Nomination - 2022
- Recognition of Service to the School of Medicine and Medical Admissions. Centre for Medical Education Recognition Awards - Nomination - 2022
- Most Uplifting Member of Staff. Students Union Enriching Student Life Awards - Nomination - 2022
- Outstanding Contribution Award for Sustained Contribution Over Many Years. Cardiff University - Awarded - 2021
- Recognition for Co-Ordinating the Student Response During the COVID Pandemic and Supporting his Tutees. Centre for Medical Education Recognition Awards - Nomination - 2021
- Recognition for Kindness, Thoughtfulness and Generosity with Regards Making Time. Centre for Medical Education Recognition Awards - Nomination - 2021
- Team Recognition of Co-ordinating C4ME Pandemic Volunteering Activities. Centre for Medical Education Recognition Awards - Nomination - 2021
- Team Recognition of Phase 1 Curriculum Staff Go That Extra Mile Unstintingly. Centre for Medical Education Recognition Awards - Nomination - 2021
- Most Uplifting Member of Staff. Students Union Enriching Student Life Awards - Nomination - 2020
- Outstanding Contribution to Engagement Activities. Cardiff University Medic Star Award - Winner - 2019
- Most Uplifting Member of Staff. Students Union Enriching Student Life Awards - Nomination - 2018
- Personal tutor of the Year. Students Union Enriching Student Life Awards - Nomination - 2017
|Race Charter Panel Member||Advanced HE||2022|
|EDI Faiths task and finish group||Medical Schools Council||2022|
|EDI Alliance||Medical Schools Council||2021|
|Senior Fellow||Higher Education Academy||2019|
|Fellow||Higher Education Academy||2016|
|Cardiff University||Senior Lecturer||01/09/2020||Present|
|Cardiff University||Research Associate Cardiology||01/08/2008||30/05/2016|
|Cardiff University||Research Associate Geriatric Medicine||13/05/1996||31/07/2008|
- Patel, S. Public speaking. African Caribbean Medical Association (ACMA), Southwest Networking Event 2022. Cardiff
- Akinnawonu, O., Nelson-Rowe, E., Brennan, P., Patel, S. Strategies for improving race equality in healthcare institutions. Developing Excellence in Medical Education (DEMEC) 2021. Online
- Hart, K., Patel, S. 2019. Adding a few herbs and spices to A-level science lessons. Science in Health Live. Cardiff.
- Hibbitts, S., Powell, N., Newton, Z., Patel, S., Hart, K., 2016. Student selected project opportunities within C21 MBBCh. C4ME Educator Development Day. Cardiff.
- Patel, S. 2022. Developing a career in Medical Education. Academy of Medical Educators (AoME) early careers conference. Online.
- Metcalf, E., Johnson, T., Allen, J., Emerson, E., Tayyaba, S., Patel, S. 2019. Evaluation of undergraduate medical students’ self-assessment of reflective writing and in a structured clinical assessment (ISCE). European Board of Medical Assessors conference, Lodz, Poland.
- S Patel, M S O' Mahony and K Woodhouse. 2001. Development and validation of cytochrome p450 RT-PCR assays for use in clinical studies of drug metabolism, Cork. oral Presentation.
- Patel, S., Metcalf, E., Emerson, E., Johnson, T., Allen, T. 2018. Evaluation of Self-assessment in reflective writing and ISCE. Sharing Training Excellence in Medical Education (STEME) Conference, Cardiff City Stadium, Cardiff.
- Calver Bl, White S, Newsway V, Patel S, O’Mahony MS, Bayer AJ. Enzymes of drug metabolism during delirium. American Geriatrics Society, Las Vegas: May 2004. JAGS 2004; 52 (suppl): S15.
- White S, Calver BL, Newsway V, Patel S, O’Mahony MS, Bayer AJ. Plasma esterases, delirium and death in older medical admissions. Autumn Meeting, British Geriatrics Society, London: October 2002. Age and Ageing 2003; 32(Suppl 1): 31.
- K Abou-Hatab, S O’Mahony, S Patel and K Woodhouse. 2001. Relationship between Age and enzymes of drug metabolism present in blood, Cork. Poster Presentation
- K Abou-Hatab, S O’Mahony, S Patel and K Woodhouse. 2001. Enzymes of drug metabolism in older people with community acquired pneumonia. Cork. Poster Presentation
- K Abou-Hatab, S O’Mahony S Patel, D Carey, K Woodhouse. 2001. The effect of open inguinal hernia repair on plasma esterase activities in young and old. Cork. Poster Presentation
- S Patel, M S O' Mahony and K Woodhouse. 2000. Development of cytochrome P450 RT-PCR assays for use in clinical studies of drug metabolism, Cardiff. Poster Presentation.
- S Patel, M S O' Mahony and K Woodhouse. 1999. Development and validation of cytochrome p450 RT-PCR assays for use in clinical studies of drug metabolism, British Geriatrics Society. poster Presentation.
- Patel S, Austen B. The structure of the signal binding domain of the 54kDa subunit of the signal recognition particle and its role in membrane insertion. (1994) Biochem. Soc. Trans., 22, 1030
Committees and reviewing
- Race Charter Panel Member, Advanced HE
- EDI Faiths task and finish group, Medical Schools Council
- EDI Alliance, Medical Schools Council
Submissions to Government consultations
Benfield E, Brennan P, Casey R, Cochrane E, Ellis S, John W, Forty L, Morris L, McKay E, Richardson J, Patel S, Stanton N, Webb K (submitted October 2021) Submission to Welsh Government Consultation LGBTQ+ Action Plan https://cf.sharepoint.com/:b:/t/WelshGovConsultLGBTQActionPlan/EcO1YraVcVtIjcsckelIr4oBZR9PeARP2jB0oS_RNyU0IQ?e=HFwHg8
Allen J, Basu P, Brennan P, Forty L, Goodfellow R, Mensuoh L, Patel S, Vyas J (submitted July 2021) Submission to Welsh Government Consultation regarding an Anti Racist Wales https://cf.sharepoint.com/:b:/t/MEDICStudentRaceEqualityTaskGroup/EeCAc5vENyJMrz6KQUbzjaABhYNt-lHjociOqHA7b3GHmw?e=ESRuG1