I received my BSc (Hons) in Physics from the University of Bristol in 2017, and my MSc in Physics from Cardiff University in 2018. As of 2020, I am an Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (AFHEA).
I am currently a PhD student (2018-2022) studying non-linear optical fabrication and characterisation techniques and how these can be applied to nanostructured magnetic and artificial biological systems, under the supervision of Dr. Sam Ladak and Prof. Wolfgang Langbein.
I currently tutor on MSc level modules PXT991 (formerly PXT101/201 and PXT992 (formerly PXT102/202) with Dr. Richard Lewis and Prof. Paul Roche.
My work currently focuses on:
- Nanostructured 3D magnetic systems including nanowires and curved nanowires.
- Non-linear optical techniques for the fabrication and characterisation of polymers and magnetic nanostructures.
- Non-linear optics for improving feature sizes and resolution in two-photon lithography.
- Electrochemistry and its application to magnetic nanostrucutre fabrication.
- Micromagnetic simulations of nanostructured systems.
Specifically I use the following techniques in my research:
- Two-photon lithography and UV lithography.
- Electrochemical and electroless deposition.
- Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and atomic force microscopy (AFM).
- Magneto-optical Kerr effect (MOKE) magnetometry.
- Finite difference micromagnetics (MuMax3, Ubermag).
- Askey, J., Hunt, M.O., Langbein, W., Ladak, S. Asymmetric dual Bloch point domain walls in cylindrical magnetic nanowires. APL Mater. 10, 071105 (2022).
- May, A., Saccone, M., van den Berg, A., Askey, J., Hunt, M., Ladak, S. Magnetic charge propagation upon a 3D artificial spin-ice. Nat. Commun. 12, 3217 (2021).
- Askey, J., Hunt, M.O., Langbein, W., Ladak, S. Use of Two-Photon Lithography with a Negative Resist and Processing to Realise Cylindrical Magnetic Nanowires. Nanomaterials 10, 429 (2020).
- Hunt, M., Taverne, M., Askey, J., May, A., Van Den Berg, A., Ho, Y.-L.D., Rarity, J., Ladak, S. Harnessing Multi-Photon Absorption to Produce Three-Dimensional Magnetic Structures at the Nanoscale. Materials 13, 761 (2020).
- Askey, J., Hunt, M.O., Langbein, W., Ladak, S. Asymmetric dual Bloch point domain walls in cylindrical magnetic nanowires. Condensed Matter and Quantum Materials 2022.
- Lewis, R., Roche, P., Anderson, M., Askey, J., Athikkat-Eknath, G., Norman, M., Sztranyovszky, Z. The Online Research Group Teaching Model: Ensuring Authentic and Robust Remote Learning for MSc Students. Cardiff University Learning and Teaching Conference 2021.
- Anderson, M., Askey, J., Athikkat-Eknath, G., Norman, M., Sztranyovszky, Z. "The Research Group Teaching Model": PhD Students as Research Group Leaders, Mentors, and Role Models. Cardiff University Learning and Teaching Conference 2021.
- Askey, J., Hunt, M.O., Langbein, W., Ladak, S. Use of Two-Photon Lithography with a Negative Resist and Processing to Realise Cylindrical Magnetic Nanowires. 65th Annual Conference on Magnetism and Magnetic Materials 2020.
I design and lead micro-project groups, plenary sessions, and demand-driven skills workshops for Physics and Astrophysics modules. These modules include:
- PXT991 (formerly PXT101/201) - Advanced Experimental Techniques in Physics (2018-present)
- PXT992 (formerly PXT102/202) - Study and Research Skills in Physics (2018-present)
- PXT103 - Advanced LabVIEW Programming for Physicists (2018-2020)