1989: A Pivotal Year for Europe
This module will introduce you to political, economic and social developments in central and eastern Europe during the late 1980s.
This is a 10 credit module on the Pathway to a degree in International Relations and Politics. It is also open to all as a stand-alone course.
This is a 20 credit module on the Pathway to a degree in International Relations and Politics. It is also open to all as a stand-alone course.
Learning and teaching
The course is taught through a mix of lectures and small group sessions.
On successful completion of the module a student will be able to:
- Identify and evaluate the political, economic and social developments that led to the collapse of communism in CEE
- Identify and evaluatethe principal consequences of events in 1989-1991 for contemporary Europe
- Analyse the strengths and weaknesses of competing explanations of the collapse of communism in CEE
- Critically evaluate the differing roles played by civil societies and political elites in achieving the transition processes in CEE countries
Critically assess the legacy of the different transition experiences with regard to current European affairs
Coursework and assessment
The assessment for the module will consist of an essay (50%) and a document analysis (50%).
- Joseph Rothschild & Judy Batt: Developments in Central and East European Politics (Duke University Press Books, 2013)
- Goodbye Lenin! DVD
Library and computing facilities
As a student on this course you are entitled to join and use the University’s library and computing facilities. Find out more about using these facilities.
Our aim is access for all. We aim to provide a confidential advice and support service for any student with a long term medical condition, disability or specific learning difficulty. We are able to offer one-to-one advice about disability, pre-enrolment visits, liaison with tutors and co-ordinating lecturers, material in alternative formats, arrangements for accessible courses, assessment arrangements, loan equipment and dyslexia screening.