Celebrating our graduates
15 July 2016
The Cardiff University School of Earth and Ocean Sciences official graduation ceremony took place on Monday 11th July.
Graduates and staff donned their caps and gowns for the official ceremony which took place in St. David’s Hall. Afterwards, students and their families were welcomed to marquees outside the iconic Main Building for the School of Earth and Ocean Sciences graduation reception. An afternoon tea themed buffet was enjoyed while students, staff and guests mingled in the marquee and posed for photos.
At the reception, a selection of prizes were also awarded to students across all degree programmes.
We would like to congratulate all our graduates on successfully completing their degrees and wish them all the best for the future.
Students can keep in touch by registering with the Cardiff University Alumni Network.
Full list of 2016 prize-winners
Prizes for 1st year students
- T R Owen Memorial Prize (Bequest by family of Professor T R Owen) - Awarded for best Year 1 Earth, Ocean and Planetary Sciences performance - Emily Reynolds
- South Wales Geological Society prize - Prize for best academic performance in Year 1 - Amy Johns (Geology), Liam Connor (Exploration and Resource Geology) and Emily Reynolds (Environmental Geosciences)
Prizes for 2nd year students
- Marine Geography Prize - Awarded for best performance in Year 2 Marine Geography - Alessio Morteo
- Ince Inch (Donated by Sir Bernard Ince) - Awarded for best Year 2 performance in Exploration and Resource Geology - Harry Madeley
- Mineralogical Society Prize - Award for best second year performance in Igneous and Metamorphic Geology - Wesley Harris
- Palaeontological Association Prize - Awarded for best second year performance in Palaeontology - Luke Deamer
- Forestry Commission Prize - Awarded for the best overall performance in Geo Ecology - Luke Penny
Prizes for 3rd/4th year students and postgraduates
- Evan Llewelyn Davies Prize - Awarded for best performance in final year examinations - Christopher Reedman (BSc Geology), Maciej Pawlukiewicz (BSc Exploration and Resource Geology), James Williams (MESci Geology) and Jamie Price (MESci Exploration and Resource Geology)
- The Micropalaeontological Society Prize - Awarded to the student with best performance in Marine Microfossils - Sebastian Scorrer
- Marine Geography Prize - Awarded for best performance in final year Marine Geography - Owen Balmont
- Robert Kidd Prize (Bequest by family of Professor Robert Kidd) - Awarded for best performance in Environmental Geosciences and Earth and Environmental Sciences - Emma Forrester (BSc Env Geosci), Melissa Seymour (BSc EES) and Alexandra Gorringe (MESci Environmental Geoscience)
- Kelvin Rhodes Memorial Prize (Bequest by family of Kelvin Rhodes) - Awarded for best BSc independent field-based report - Christopher Reedman (Geology), Maciej Pawlukiewicz (Exploration and Resource Geology), Margot Brade (Environmental Geosciences) and Nicole Reilly (Earth and Environmental Sciences)
- Adrian Cramp Prize (Bequest by family of Dr Adrian Cramp) - Awarded for excellence in Marine and Coastal research - the best final year independent project on a marine or coastal topic - Amber Pengilley
- Livesey and Henderson Prize - Awarded for excellence in research into Ocean Resources Management - Josephine Wilde
- Cox Medal (In commemoration of Professor H. Cox, a previous head of the Geology Department) - Outstanding and best performance in the Graduating Year - Jamie Price