Leading minds in inventory research gather at PhD summer school
29 September 2023
Cardiff Business School recently hosted the 16th International Society for Inventories Research (ISIR) PhD Summer School, bringing together PhD students and experts in the field of inventory management.
The International Society for Inventories Research (ISIR) is a community of scientists interested in all aspects of inventory management, from inventory modelling and pricing to financial research and economic issues.
Fostering innovation and collaboration, the bi-annual summer school took place from 24 to 28 July 2023 at Cardiff University. The event brought together PhD students and researchers from across Europe to present, discuss and improve their research.
The summer school theme was: ‘Mitigating inventory uncertainty through whole systems theory.’
The week included a social programme and industry visits to the Royal Mint and GE Aircraft Engine Services Limited. The industry visits helped students develop an understanding of the managerial implications of inventory research in a practical setting.
Francesco Stranieri, a PhD student and summer school attendee said: “my sincerest thanks for the warm welcome and impeccable organisation during the recent ISIR summer school. The experience has exceeded all my expectations, enabling me to acquire new skills and leaving an indelible mark on my academic and personal development.”
Professor Aris Syntetos said:
He added: “it was wonderful to host such talented and dedicated PhD students. We were also delighted to be joined by senior faculty members from various universities and we are grateful for their keynotes, workshops and tutorials.”
Speakers at the event included:
- Professor Robert Boute, Vlerick Business School, and KU Leuven, Belgium
- Professor Steve Disney, University of Exeter Business School, UK
- Professor Rogelio Oliva, Mays Business School, Texas A&M University, USA
- Professor Ruud Teunter, Department of Operations, University of Groningen, Netherlands
- Professors Li Zhou, School of Business, Operations and Strategy, University of Greenwich, UK
The summer school was dedicated to Professor John Boylan who sadly passed away on 7 July 2023. Professor Boylan was due to be a speaker at the conference.
The organising committee of the summer school included:
- Beverly Francis (Conference Officer)
- Dr Thanos Goltsos (Industry Coordinator)
- Dr Irina Harris (Review Coordinator)
- Dr Qinyun Li (IT Coordinator)
- Dr Paul Wang (Submissions Coordinator)