Commonwealth Scholarship Opportunities 2019
28 February 2019
We are delighted to launch the 2019 Commonwealth Scholarship programme for applicants from existing Commonwealth countries.
There will be up to five sponsored places available for exceptional practising Optometrists who will make a difference to the knowledge and leadership skills of developing countries. The available scholarships are for the part-time MSc in Clinical Optometry and will take each student up to five years to complete.
Aimed at talented and motivated individuals with the potential to make change, applications are invited for our part-time, distance learning MSc in Clinical Optometry
Applicants will already hold a qualifying degree in Optometry and must be driven to study at your own pace via distance learning.
Applicants will also study in their home country but be expected to visit Cardiff (Wales) for a series of practical training and exam events (usually in January or June). Costs for travel will be covered as part of the sponsorship.
One of our previous Commonwealth students Carl, describes his experience with the programme.
“The Scholarship has changed a lot in my life; the moment I got into the Master’s programme I was able to get a new employment at Malawi to help build a new optometry department. The modules I took greatly prepared me for the responsibilities I was about to take up and I eventually became the head of the Program! I wasn't learning just the modules, I took my time to learn how courses were delivered, the various teaching methods used by different Module facilitators and I can confidently say I am a better teacher because of those skills I learnt.
I believe if this opportunity is given to others who were in my position we shall slowly develop a strong human resource to deal with the burden of visual impairment that plaques the world.”
The Application Process
The application process has a number of parts.
1. Applicants must apply and have a conditional offer from Cardiff University. In order to ensure we are able to make an offer in time we would encourage everyone to have completed their application by the 25th March 2019.
Information about the eligibility criteria and how to apply is available on our website. Please select ‘Apply now’ for September 2019. You must include the following with your application:
- A copy of your BSc Certificate (or the equivalent)
- Evidence that you satisfy our English Language Requirements
- 2 written references (at least one of these must be from your current/ most recent employer)
- We also ask that you note in the ‘Personal Statement’ section of the application that you are applying for the Commonwealth Scholarship opportunity.
2. All applicants must also submit a completed application for the Commonwealth Scholarship here. Please also familiarise yourself with the candidate terms and conditions and application deadlines.
All applications must be submitted by midday 12.00 PM (BST) on 22nd March 2019 (1) at the latest. All applications must include the following supporting documentation by 12:00 PM (BST) on 5th April 2019 (2) in order for their applications to be eligible for consideration:
- Copy of valid passport or national ID card showing photograph, date of birth, and country of citizenship – uploaded to the online application system
- At least one reference – submitted directly by the referee to the online application system. Referees will be sent an email request however applicants are responsible for seeking permission from their referees in advance of submitting their application; for ensuring that their referees are available to complete the reference by the deadline; and that the referees have received the reference request email.
- An offer letter to start chosen course of study in the 2019-2020 academic year – uploaded to the online application system
- Full transcripts detailing all higher education qualifications (with certified translations if not in English) – uploaded to the online application system
The CSC will not accept supporting documentation submitted outside the online application system.
Eligible Commonwealth Countries:
Papua New Guinea
Candidates that are shortlisted for interview will be informed on 10th April 2019. Interviews will be held on 24th April 2019 via Skype. Successful applicants will be informed by mid-July 2019.