Extensive GDC Review of CPD Literature Published
18 January 2019
As part of the Association for Dental Education in Europe (ADEE) project team, CUREMeDE’s Professor Alison Bullock and Emma Barnes have produced a literature review of CPD activities, models and best practice in dentistry and other professions.
Commissioned by the GDC, the extensive report is based on review of 184 publications and highlights trends in relation to interactive CPD (specifically peer-learning, mentoring, reflective practice) and e-learning. The report also looks at the influence of insight and intelligence gathering and the move towards qualitative-based CPD policies, rather than those based on hours or points.
Co-author Alison Bullock says:
“I’m proud to be part of the ADEE team who produced this significant report which looks set to help inform the GDC’s thinking about the future of CPD. It’s been really helpful to look at what other professions are doing and to see how they are moving away from CPD systems based on counting hours to systems which are much more concerned with reflection on how the learning impacts on professional practice”
The project team comprised:
- Professor Jonathan Cowpe, emeritus professor, Cardiff University, School of Dentistry (Project Lead)
- Dr Argyro Kavadella, Athens University, School of Dentistry (Lead Project Researcher)
- Professor Alison Bullock, Cardiff University, School of Social Sciences, (Expert Advisor & Researcher)
- Ms Emma Barnes, Cardiff University, School of Social Sciences (Search Advisor & Researcher)
- Dr Barry Quinn, King’s College London (Project Researcher)
- Mr Denis Murphy, Chief Administrative Officer of ADEE (Project Administrator)
News releases related to the report: