Careers and employability
- 96% of graduates were in employment and/or further study, due to start a new job or course, or doing other activities such as travelling, 15 months after the end of their course (Graduate Outcomes survey 2020/21)*
- 95% of our postgraduate taught graduates were in employment and/or further study, due to start a new job or course, or doing other activities such as travelling, 15 months after the end of their course (Graduate Outcomes survey 2020/21).*
From the public to the private sector, we enable careers in a wide range of fields.
Our politics and international relations graduates use their newly-acquired skills in a broad spectrum of jobs within the media, audit, tax and advisory services, the civil service, politics, market research and teaching.
Many of our Law graduates pursue law-related careers and are now paralegals, family support workers, negotiators, licensed conveyancers and trainee lawyers. However, other Law graduates have used the employability skills they gained at university to enter careers in sectors such as banking, insurance, healthcare, teaching, hospitality and the police service.
Focused career support
Our Careers and Employability service offers information, advice and guidance to our students at every stage of their degree, delivering a tailored range of career-related events throughout the year. Whatever your career ambitions, we can help you to start your journey with our range of focused careers and employability activities.
Careers and employability support includes:
- one-to-one sessions by appointment
- master classes on CV writing, application forms, interview preparation and Linked In
- career planning sessions including career options for your specific degree
- professional networking events
- professional guest speakers from a wide range of sectors (eg solicitors, barristers, civil service and third sector representatives)
- work experience and placement advice
- Specialist support from Career Confident
- mock interviews
- information on internships and graduate training programmes
- Enterprise and entrepreneurial activities
- links to the Global Opportunities Centre (GOC)
- opportunity to complete an employability award (Cardiff Award)
- up-to-date careers information and links to additional graduate careers resources.
You can find the Careers and Employability service on Park Place.
For information specific to our subject areas, contact Helen McNally:
Source: Higher Education Statistics Agency, latest Graduate Outcomes Survey 2019/20, published by HESA in June 2022
Contains HESA Data: Copyright Higher Education Statistics Agency Limited 2022. The Higher Education Statistics Agency Limited cannot accept responsibility for any inferences or conclusions derived by third parties from its data.