Call for papers
The call for abstracts is now open.
We invite contributions on all aspects of journalism, with those addressing the conference theme, Innovations, Transitions and Transformations, particularly encouraged. Issues to be addressed may include:
- How are definitions of journalism changing in an evolving news ecosystem?
- What is the future for today’s journalist in an environment increasingly shaped by artificial intelligence, big data, algorithmic processing and "liminal" journalism practices?
- How are standards of quality, balance and fairness changing, including with regard to the perceived decline of ‘mainstream media’ and the rise of hyper-partisan outlets?
- To what extent are social media democratising citizens’ engagement with news across mobile platforms?
- How best to encourage new cultures of experimentation and innovation for rethinking journalistic form and practice?
- How should journalism studies respond to these shifts, conceptually and methodologically?
The deadline for submitting abstracts (250 words maximum) for papers is 31 January 2019. Please do not submit more than one abstract as first author, with no more than two abstracts in total.
Please submit your abstract via the conference email address: FofJ2019@cardiff.ac.uk. Should you have any questions, please contact Bina Ogbebor using the same email address.