Skip to main content

Housing support for your child

Everyone has a right to be safeguarded from threats, violence, and intimidation, regardless of age.

You may find that you and your family do not feel safe in your own home. This may be because your child is being targeted by exploiters who live in your area or because you and your child are being subjected to threats and/or actual violence.

Housing organisations should have a Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) who can raise awareness and offer help and support to housing practitioners. The DSL should develop and maintain links with specialist local and national services and organisations for further help and support.

Talking to housing professionals

You will need to show that you qualify for urgent housing support.

If you are accessing support from other professionals, ask them to write a letter of support. This could include a letter from your GP, child’s teacher, Independent Child Trafficking Guardians, or another professional.

Keep a record of incidents and events that you can share with your local authority.

If your child does not live with you, you can advocate for them with service providers. This includes letting services know about your child’s needs and working with them to address these needs.

Housing and the law

Find out more about the legislation that governs how agencies handle housing.