Knowledge Exchange Skills Scholarship (KESS 2)
Knowledge Economy Skills Scholarships (KESS2) support doctoral, MPhil and research master's degree qualifications in all Welsh universities, jointly sponsored by external partners from Wales.
KESS 2 is a pan-Wales higher level skills initiative led by Bangor University on behalf of the higher education sector in Wales. It is part-funded by the Welsh Government’s European Social Fund (ESF).
Key participation criteria
- Research projects must be co-developed with an external partner with a base in Wales and demonstrate benefit to that region.
- Projects must fit to one of the Welsh Government’s priority economic sectors:
- ICT and digital economy
- low carbon, energy and environment
- life sciences and health
- advanced engineering and materials.
- If you receive a KESS2 scholarship you must also have a home or work address in the relevant region in Wales (East or West) when you apply and enrol.
How to apply
No further PhD places are available for East and West Wales.
Please note we are no longer accepting MPhil/MRes project application on the West programme and funding application is currently on hold on the East Wales programme.
Finance and Compliance Project Officer
Knowledge Economy Skills Scholarships (KESS) is a pan-Wales higher level skills initiative led by Bangor University on behalf of the Higher Education sector in Wales. It is part-funded by the Welsh Government’s European Social Fund (ESF).