Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu


Your questions answered

Fees & funding

How much does a postgraduate degree cost?

The tuition fees will be published by the Finance Division and listed in the respective entry on Course Finder as soon as they become available. Please bear in mind, however, that until the fees are updated for the commencing year, the fees listed will be for the current academic year. In the event of any fee queries, please email the Finance Division at

How can I pay my fees?

Payment can be made by direct debit, credit card, cheque, bank draft, or bank transfer. An online international bank transfer service is also available.

Payment can be made in three instalments. If you choose payment by direct debit you will complete a mandate as part of your online registration and payment will be collected from your account in November, January and April. If you choose a different payment option, the first instalment is due as part of (or prior to) online registration, with the second instalment due in January and the third in April (see the information on Postgraduate Tuition Fees for exact dates).

Please refer to Postgraduate Tuition Fees for further information on the payment of tuition fees.

How can I find funding?

To assist prospective students in researching their funding options, we have developed an online Funding and Scholarship Search. This offers a set of information 'stepping stones' as a starting point in your search for funding, including:

  • Funding opportunities available at Cardiff University
  • Other potential funding sources of which we are aware
  • Further information sources you may find useful

You may also want to look at the following:

What are the main sources of funding for postgraduate students?

The available sources of funding vary depending on your form of study:

Research students

The main sources of funding for research students (MPhil/PhD) are: Research Council studentships, Cardiff University studentships, industrial sponsorships, Graduate Teaching posts and other part-time employment. Funding from Charities and Trusts is becoming increasingly important for research students. Potential funding opportunities are listed in the Funding and Scholarship Search.

Taught students

The main sources of funding for postgraduates on taught programmes are: Research Council studentships, Cardiff University studentships, Local Education Authority grants for PGCE students, Career Development Loans, Professional Loans and part-time employment. Potential funding opportunities are listed in the Funding and Scholarship Search.

Will a scholarship cover both tuition fees and living costs?

This will depend - firstly, on the type of scholarship you receive and secondly, on your fee status. Your fee status is determined by whether you are classed as a Home UK, EU or international student. Information and advice on fee statuses can be found on the UK Council for International Education website.

Generally speaking, Research Council scholarships are only available to UK and EU students. UK residents (including EU nationals resident in the UK for at least three years prior to commencing their studies) are entitled to full scholarships, covering tuition fees and a stipend meeting the nationally-agreed minimum. Other EU students are also eligible for scholarships from one of the Research Councils, but these may cover tuition fees only.

Many Cardiff University postgraduate scholarships cover both Home UK/EU tuition fees and living expenses. However, others are fees-only scholarships, or part-funded bursaries. Again, the vast majority of scholarships are open to UK/EU applicants only, although there are some exceptions to this rule.

Please use the Funding and Scholarship Search to browse scholarships and view eligibility details for each funding opportunity.

Will I be eligible for a scholarship or bursary?

This depends on the type of scholarship you are aiming for. The vast majority of studentships are open only to students who are eligible to pay tuition fees at the 'home' (UK/EU) rate. Essentially, this means you should be settled in the UK or EU (for purposes other than just education) throughout the three years leading up to the planned start of your postgraduate studies.

Since competition for these awards is extremely high, generally you should also possess, or expect to be awarded, a First Class or Upper Second Class Honours degree.

Please browse the Funding and Scholarship Search to view award and eligibility details for specific funding opportunities.

What funding is available for part-time students?

Unfortunately, most funding in the form of studentships and loans is available to support full-time postgraduate study only. However, even among the Research Councils there are some exceptions; the AHRC, the EPSRC and the ESRC also offer studentships to part-time postgraduates. Some of the internal funding offered by our Academic Schools is also available to part-time students. Please check with your chosen School about funding opportunities.

There is also the option of working part-time alongside your studies. One source of part-time work is the Unistaff Jobshop.

When should I apply for funding?

Unless you are applying for a funded PhD project, you will need to have a firm offer of a place to study at Cardiff University before you can apply for funding. The priority should therefore be to research your chosen subject area carefully and make an early application to allow sufficient time for applying for studentships, grants or loans.

Some of our academic Schools have funding for which students are considered automatically upon application. Details will be given in the Funding and Scholarship Search in these cases. You are more than welcome to talk to either the Postgraduate Recruitment Office or the International Office (for non-EU students) and your chosen Academic School about funding options at any time.

Above all, you should start thinking as early as possible about how you will fund your postgraduate studies; many of the funding bodies have early deadlines so you should prepare yourself well in advance.

What loans are available for postgraduates?

As a postgraduate student, you are not eligible for a loan from the Student Loans Company. Instead, there are three types of loans available to postgraduates:

In all cases, you will need to have an offer of a place from Cardiff University in order to apply for a loan.

Can I get a part-time or vacation job?


The best place to start is the University's own employment agency, the Unistaff JobShop. This is based in the ground floor mall of the Students' Union Building on Park Place. Students are generally advised to work no more than 15 hours a week during term time so that they have adequate time for their studies.

International students are encouraged to check the conditions of their visa before undertaking any part-time work as restrictions will apply.

You may also want to check out the part-time vacancies offered by the various recruitment agencies in Cardiff city centre.

See more on our part-time employment page.

Ask a question

If you've got a question that isn't answered here, ask our Postgraduate team.