Facts and figures
Cardiff University was ranked 5th amongst UK universities in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) based on quality, and is a member of the Russell Group, a group of 24 leading UK research intensive universities.
We are the 12th largest university in the UK in terms of student numbers with a total estimated income for 2013/14 of £460M.
- 30,180 students
- £500M research contracts
- 89% student satisfaction
We have 30,180 students enrolled, representing over 100 countries.
- 21,495 undergraduates
- 8,685 postgraduates
- 6,605 international students (continental EU included)
- 89% overall satisfaction in National Student Survey 2013
- 1,000 students volunteer in the local community each year
Student numbers confirmed by HESA for 2013/14.
Our graduates are sought-after by employers - more so than most other major UK universities.
- 95% of graduates enter employment or professional training/postgraduate study shortly after graduating*
- 78% obtain graduate level employment, placing the University 16th in the UK for this measure
- 170,000 alumni across the globe from more than 180 countries
*HESA Destination of Leavers in Higher Education survey 2012/13.
We have a world-leading research community with a strong and broad research base:
- 5th university nationally in the Research Exercise Framework (REF) on rankings based on quality
- 2nd university nationally in the Research Exercise Framework (REF) on rankings based on impact
- our research contract awards have a total value of £500M
- we have won five Queen's Anniversary Prizes
- £20M has been invested in Cardiff University/Fusion IP spinouts
- we are 8th in the UK for interactions with SMEs since 2008*
- we rank 6th in the UK for estimated turnover (£43M) of all active graduate start-ups since 2008
- our researchers include two Nobel Prize winners - Professor Sir Martin Evans and Professor Robert Huber.
*Encouraging a British Invention Revolution, Sir Andrew Witty, October 2013.