Our wireless network is an eduroam service, so students, researchers and staff from participating institutions can connect to our wireless network with a username and password from their home institution.
If you're visiting Cardiff University and require access to Wi-Fi, you may be able to connect to the visitor wireless service: CU-Visitor Wi-Fi, which will appear on your list of available networks.
We can grant access if you are:
- a delegate attending conferences organised by staff or students, in line with our publicly funded remit
- a member of commercial organisations and public bodies, who has been invited by the University.
If eduroam visitors are having problems accessing the wireless we may be able to provide a guest account.
We are currently unable to provide access to the following people:
- prospective students (if they enroll early they will gain access)
- walk-in users
- delegates at externally-organised conferences which have no connection with our publicly funded remit.
Requesting a guest account
Visitor wireless coupons are available from the IT Service Desk:
IT Service Desk
Please abide by our regulations and the JANET Acceptable Use Policy.
Coupons can be created for use of up to 14 days, depending on the length of your stay.
- you will be able to access public web pages and web-based email, other services may not work
- your account usage period will start when you first log in
- Cardiff University will monitor the usage of these accounts,
- these temporary accounts will not allow you to log into a University managed workstation.
Open day Wi-Fi access
Cardiff University is a wireless campus and you are welcome to use our wireless network whilst you are with us on our open day.
To access Wi-Fi if you’re attending an Open Day:
- select the network CU-Visitor on your device and register your details
- you will shortly receive a text containing a unique login,
- log in to start using Wi-Fi whenever you are on the campus.
Guidance is available during the Open Day at the Libraries and IT Facilities stand for guidance with accessing Open Day Wi-Fi.
Long-term visitors (more than two weeks)
If you are a conference delegate or sponsored guest, please contact your conference organiser or your Cardiff University sponsor within the School or department you are visiting for more information on obtaining Wi-Fi access.
If you're unsure about whom to contact or if you have any problems connecting to the Wi-Fi, please contact the IT Service Desk: