Our Teachers and Careers Advisers' conferences offer the chance to hear the latest information and advice on recent changes within the Higher Education sector.
During our last conference, we focussed on ways we can all do our part to support students at both school and university as well as providing an insight into Cardiff University Admission policies including our offer guarantee scheme and EPQ policy. We also took a look at the current application market and trends.
The event catered for:
- heads of sixth forms
- heads of departments
- all A level teachers
- career advisers.
With a range of speakers and experts from the higher education sector, programme highlights from our 2019 conference included the following:
- Ask the Expert: Our Head of Admissions updated attendees on University policies followed by an opportunity to put questions to a panel of key representatives including Admissions, UCAS and Student Support services.
- 'Back to my Roots': Inclusive Education: Led by Dr Ceri Morris, we returned to the fundamental question, 'What is education for?' Exploring the impact of recent educational policy on issues of social justice and ‘the dilemma of difference’. We discussed barriers to learning and inclusive practice before considering how to support our learners to develop the skills they need as they transition from school to post-compulsory education and work environments.
- UCAS: current market trends and advisor support: More information about the current application market and trends along with information on the UCAS resources available to support you in your role.
- Discover the Cardiff Experience: Taking questions from the audience, our student panel provided an insight into what they really think about Cardiff University and what they wish they’d known in sixth form when applying to Higher Education.
- Breakout sessions: A range of breakout sessions included personal statement and reference writing, global opportunities, and applying to Medicine, Dentistry and the Healthcare Sciences.
To receive further information regarding our school outreach opportunities, university and higher education updates, open day information and events, sign up to our Teachers' newsletter.