Developing expertise: a free online course specifically tailored to support newly qualified teachers’ (NQTs') experiences in Wales
- Wednesday 6 October 2021, 08:00 - Monday 20 June 2022, 08:00
The course is collaborative and will be shaped in response to participants’ specific needs as they embark on their first year of teaching.
This course provides an invaluable opportunity for participants to build confidence, extend their professional knowledge and reflect on professional practice. Course content and delivery will be focused on professional practice and will draw on key theoretical ideas, through discussion. The course aims to support NQT resilience and wellbeing. It will provide a safe space to develop expertise through challenging thinking and assumptions about experience and practice.
The course will bring together ideas around:
- developing and reflecting on practice (teaching, learning, assessment, working with pupils, critical reflection)
- working collaboratively (sharing ideas, seeking advice and support, working with colleagues) ongoing professional learning
- research engagement to support practice.
The course will consist of one session per half term (term time only). Each session will consist of approximately 3 hours of core learning to include:
- 1 hour of asynchronous pre-recorded/prepared support materials, activities and reading (to be completed in advance of the live session)
- a 2-hour live interactive teaching session at 19:00.
This course is delivered remotely online.
We will provide learning materials, and other information (such as login details) in the two weeks leading up to the start of your course. Learning materials will be accessed via Learning Central (or a similar VLE platform) and will be available to access during the course. You will not need any equipment except for a computer with good internet connection and a camera function, and the ability to sign into Zoom.
- provides a high-quality opportunity for developing professional knowledge and growth
- will be focused on applicability and impact on professional practice
- will be highly interactive and led by experienced teacher educators from school, Further Education (FE) and Higher Education (HE) contexts
- will be hosted via the University’s ‘Learning Central’ platform which allows for user interaction and flexibility
- will draw on current, cutting edge content and research
- will be delivered in a coherent, practically focussed accessible way, using real life examples
- will develop key professional skills, knowledge and expertise in both teaching practice and critical reflection
- will be shaped to be relevant to your specific professional issues and challenges.
Find out more
For more information about the activity, please visit our website.