Open Day rail discount
Get a discount when you book your train ticket to our Open Days (17 September and 22 October 2022) with Great Western Railway.
Great Western Railway
Great Western Railway (GWR) are offering a 20% discount on rail tickets to our Open Day across the following dates:
- Outward tickets: 15 October to 22 October
- Return tickets: 22 October to 29 October
How to get the discount
Buy your discounted rail tickets. No code is needed, the discount is applied automatically (subject to availability, see terms and conditions).
If further assistance is required, please call GWR on +44 (0)345 700 0125 (option 2, then option 2 again).
Terms and conditions
- Booking can only be made through the link provided.
- The Open Days GWR travel offer is only available for travel on GWR services only. If travelling from or within a region of the country that is not part of the GWR network you may need to purchase separate tickets to the chosen destination.
- The destination must be relevant to Cardiff University i.e. Cardiff Central, Cathays or Cardiff Queen Street
- Origin of journey must be within the GWR network, but please note that Advance Purchase tickets are not available for short distance journeys.
- The scheme is only available for use with Advance Purchase tickets. These set times and dates of travel and are non-exchangeable and non-refundable.
- The Open Days GWR travel offer is available for the dates provided by Cardiff University and the week that the event takes place, running Saturday to the next Sunday. So stay for more than a day to get a feel for the local scene.
- The scheme is combinable with the 16 - 25 Railcard. Simply tick the box on the page by “Passengers” and select from the drop down box.
Help with booking Advanced Purchase Tickets
What is an ‘Advanced Purchase Ticket’?
‘Advance Purchase’ refers to a ticket that can be purchased up to 18:00hrs (6pm) the day before travel, subject to availability. Once purchased, it is non-flexible (ie. unable to change times or dates travel) and non-refundable.
I cannot see the discounted fare
‘Advance Purchase’ for the student fare are denoted by a small cross against the ticket price. If there is no red cross shown, then the ‘Advance purchase fare for that day may have sold out. Once the discounted fare has been chosen an asterisk ‘*’ will be displayed underneath the fares section.
The link to the booking page does not work
You may need to update your internet browser, we advise using Google Chrome or Firefox. There may be a need to clear your cookies.
I cannot see the promotional fare
Travel is only available on GWR routes, check the entirety of the journey is on GWR. Please also check the booking horizon. Sales open for Advance Purchase 12 weeks before travel.
View a campus map marked with all of our buildings where our academic schools, residences and other services are located.