EU applicant information

Students at a desk with a welcome sign in the background

Cardiff University is an international community that values the students and staff that come to study and work here from around the world.

We have over 7,500 EU and international students and 6,800 staff from 78 countries. Our alumni reach across 180 countries. This diversity fosters creativity and innovation and is an important part of our culture.

Applicants for 2019 entry

EU students who intend to study in Wales for the 2019/20 academic year will pay the same tuition fees as Welsh students and will be eligible to receive loans and/or grants from Student Finance Wales. Students who are eligible will receive this support for the duration of their course.

Find out more about the financial support guarantee for EU students applying for 2019/20.

Please contact us with any questions using

Applicants for 2018 entry

Prospective EU students applying for a place for the 2018/19 academic year will be eligible to apply for financial support to meet the cost of their tuition fees.

Those students will not have the terms of their funding changed if the UK leaves the EU during their studies.

Find out more about the financial support guarantee for EU students applying for 2018/19.

Please contact us with any questions using

UK residence requirements for EEA and Swiss nationals

EEA and Swiss nationals are entitled to enter the UK freely and have an automatic right of residence for up to three months. After this time, to remain in the UK you must exercise your Treaty right to reside. Exercising Treaty rights involves doing one of the five following activities:

You are not required to apply for any document confirming your residency status, but you may want to do so in order to evidence your rights or for your own peace of mind.

Should you wish to do so, you can apply for a Registration Certificate or, if you meet the requirements, Permanent Residence. Family members of EEA nationals exercising Treaty rights may also be eligible to reside in the UK.

Further information regarding the full requirements and the process can be found on the Home Office webpages and through UK Council for International Student Affairs. Our International Student Support team are also able to assist EEA and Swiss students and their families.

Read the Vice-Chancellor's message following the Brexit announcement.

Read the Vice-Chancellor’s latest message about the challenges posed by the Brexit vote.