Medical and Dental Education
Postgraduate Medical & Dental Education undertakes and supports a range of educational research and evaluation activity in the healthcare professions, particularly medicine and dentistry.
Projects at Master and Doctoral level are supervised by members of the academic team encompassing a range of research studies. Projects frequently inform innovations in local practise. Some examples include:
- Evaluating broad based training initiative in England
- Learning needs of junior doctors, trainer and trainee attitudes towards work-place based assessments
- Contextualising curriculum planning for dental education in developing countries
- Features that core medical trainees value in a clinical placement
- The Cardiff Unit for Research and Evaluation in Medical and Dental Education (CUREMeDE) is a collaborative development between the School of Social Sciences and the School of Postgraduate Medical and Dental Education.
|Mode of study||Full-time, part-time|
The medical education MPhil/PhD courses benefit from a wealth of research activity in the School. Recent examples include doctors use of iDOC technology for learning, trainer and trainee attitudes towards work-place based assessments, and contextualising curriculum planning for dental education in developing countries.
We offer supervision and/or research projects in the following areas:
- Learning and Teaching in Clinical Education
- Curriculum Innovations
UK government postgraduate doctoral loans
Candidates for the Professional Doctorate programme may be eligible to apply for a UK government postgraduate doctoral loan.Find out more about UK government postgraduate doctoral loans
UK and EU students
Students from outside the EU
A first degree, normally with class 2:1 or equivalent in a relevant subject area. A relevant master's qualification or equivalent.
English language requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English are normally expected to meet the minimum University requirements (e.g. 6.5 IELTS). Please see our English Language Requirements guidance for more details.
Postgraduate Medical and Dental Education
- Telephone:+44 (0)29 2068 7449