Jameel MA Scholarships
The Centre for the Study of Islam in the UK (Islam-UK Centre) is pleased to invite applications for the Cardiff University Jameel Scholarships.
Founded in 2005, the Islam-UK Centre works towards the promotion of better understanding of Islam and the life of Muslims in Britain, through high quality teaching and research.
Its activities address issues which are central to the situation of Muslims in contemporary Britain. The Centre provides unique training and research opportunities for those seeking onward employment in a range of academic and non-academic careers.
With the help of a very generous gift, the Jameel Scholarships have been established to enable the very best students to come to Cardiff University – those who have the intellect and determination to apply their knowledge for the benefit of Muslim communities in the UK, and to promote better understanding of Islam in wider society.
Three scholarships available
Three full-funded scholarships are available for September 2020 for students studying the MA in Islam in Contemporary Britain.
Each scholarship comprises full UK/EU tuition fees, £15,000 stipend and £1,000 towards research costs.
Closing date for Jameel MA Scholarship applications 29 May 2020.
How to apply
Applications are invited for three full-time scholarships for the MA Islam in Contemporary Britain for the academic year 2020/21.
All MA scholarships are required to complete the following:
- Cardiff University Postgraduate online application for the full-time MA in Islam in Contemporary Britain with September 2020 entry. You will find an ‘apply now’ link on the course page, which brings you to the SIMS Online Application System where applicants will need to register as a ‘New User’.
- An MA Jameel Scholarships Application Form, all sections of which must be completed in full. MA Jameel Scholarships Application Forms are available to download on the right-hand side of this page. Completed forms must be submitted as an email attachment with the heading ‘MA Jameel Scholarships’ to email@example.com by the deadline.
- Two references, of which at least one, must be from a University from which the applicant has graduated. References should be completed on an MA Referee Report Form which should be sent as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline. Applicants should follow instructions given on the MA Referee Report Form. Please note that it is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that references are received by the deadline. Failure to do so will compromise the application.
- A complete transcript of all marks achieved to date to be sent as an email attachment to email@example.com by the deadline. Failure to do so will compromise the application.
Checklist for candidates:
- Submit Cardiff University online postgraduate application via SIMS for the MA in Islam in Contemporary Britain by the deadline.
- Submit an MA Jameel Scholarships Application Form as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
- Request each referee (2) to submit an MA Referee Report Form as an email attachment to email@example.com by the deadline.
- Submit a complete transcript of all marks achieved to date as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
- A first class or very high upper-second class honours degree in a relevant subject (Religious Studies, Islamic Studies, Social Sciences, Philosophy or History) from a UK university.
- Full awards are open only to UK and EU nationals who satisfy UK residency requirements.
- Priority will be given to candidates with a demonstrable record of interest in, and/or enthusiasm for, working with British Muslims.
- Willingness to attend all Islam-UK Centre activities and events (eg weekly Spring Semester Public Lecture Series) and to undertake some voluntary work with local Muslim communities in South Wales.
UK Research Council eligibility conditions apply
- Stipend note: Each scholarship will comprise of full-time Cardiff University UK/EU MA fees for 2020/21 and a stipend of £15,000.
- Additional funding: You will also receive a research allowance for books and attending conferences.