We offer fully-funded Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) studentships through a Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP) and four Centres for Doctoral Training (CDTs).
The EPSRC is the main UK government agency for funding research and training in engineering and the physical sciences – from mathematics to materials science, and from information technology to structural engineering.
EPSRC Doctoral Training Partnership
Our EPSRC DTP offers fully-funded PhD studentships in a variety of projects, across our Academic Schools and interdisciplinary Research Institutes.
Over the next two intake years, 2018/19 and 2019/20, the DTP will offer up to 78 PhD fully-funded studentships, including 6 CASE Awards. Students will benefit from an excellent local research environment as well as a comprehensive programme of research and professional skills development.
Our objective is to train the next generation of research leaders, innovators and entrepreneurs in the physical sciences and engineering, by:
- equipping students with advanced research skills, supported by expert supervision, a well-funded infrastructure and dynamic research culture
- supporting them to communicate their research through seminars, external conferences and networking
- fostering interdisciplinary research through groupings of engineering, physical, chemical, biological, medical and social scientists
- offering a comprehensive programme of professional and career development opportunities
- hosting cohort activities that encourage interactions of doctoral students across disciplines
- engendering a commitment to research excellence and impact, and explorations of new ways of thinking.
PhD projects are available across a range of topics that align with Cardiff’s research strengths and EPSRC's priorities. Projects will be rooted in an academic school but may work at the interfaces with other disciplines, be connected to an interdisciplinary Research Institute, and involve collaborations with other scientific researchers, industrial partners and other organisations.
EPSRC Centres for Doctoral Training
We are involved in four EPSRC Centres for Doctoral Training:
- We are the lead partner in the CDT in Catalysis, addressing some of society’s biggest challenges through catalysis: clean energy generation, environmental clean-up of air and water and sustainable manufacture. This interdisciplinary programme in collaboration with the universities of Bath and Bristol, offers postgraduate training in Catalysis and Reaction Engineering.
- Water Informatics: Science and Engineering CDT
- Diamond Science and Technology CDT
- Compound Semiconductor Manufacturing CDT
At Cardiff University, the following EPSRC studentships are currently available:
|EPSRC CDT in Compound Semiconductor Manufacturing||30 August 2019|
|EPSRC Doctoral Training Partnership PhD in Chemistry||31 August 2019|