EU applicants

We are an international community that values the students and staff that come to study and work here from around the world.

We have 7,000 EU and international students and 6,800 staff from 78 countries. Our alumni reach across 180 countries. This diversity fosters creativity and innovation and is an important part of our culture. This will not change.

The formal notification of the UK’s intention to withdraw from the EU was triggered on 29 March 2017 but the UK will remain a member of the EU for two years until the process is complete. This means that there will be no immediate change for universities, staff or students.

In addition, the UK government has announced that EU nationals who arrive in the UK during the transition period after Brexit will be eligible for indefinite leave to remain.

Those who arrive after the UK is due to leave the EU in March 2019 will be required to register if they wish to stay in the UK for longer than three months. They will then be allowed to stay for five years and qualify to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

The announcement should provide greater certainty for EU students and university staff arriving during this post-Brexit transition period.

Cardiff University is an international, ambitious and successful university. We are also a friendly university. We hope to welcome you here soon and in the meantime, please feel free to contact us with any concerns using

Applicants for 2018 entry onwards

Prospective EU students applying for a place for the 2018/19 academic year will be charged the same fee as home students for the duration of their course.

Those students will not have the terms of their funding changed if the UK leaves the EU during their studies.

Find out more about the financial support guarantee for EU students applying for 2018/19.

Master's programmes starting in September 2018

EU students joining postgraduate taught master's programmes in September 2018 will be charged the same fee as home students for the duration of their course.

Research programmes

Read the government's statement on Research Council studentships.

UK residence requirements for EEA and Swiss nationals

EEA and Swiss nationals are entitled to enter the UK freely and have an automatic right of residence for up to three months. After this time, to remain in the UK you must exercise your Treaty right to reside. Exercising Treaty rights involves doing one of the five following activities:

You are not required to apply for any document confirming your residency status, but you may want to do so in order to evidence your rights or for your own peace of mind. Should you wish to do so, you can apply for a Registration Certificate or, if you meet the requirements, Permanent Residence. Family members of EEA nationals exercising Treaty rights may also be eligible to reside in the UK.

Further information regarding the full requirements and the process can be found on the Home Office webpages and through UK Council for International Student Affairs. Our International Student Support team are also able to assist EEA and Swiss students and their families.

Read the Vice-Chancellor's message following the EU referendum result.

Read the Vice-Chancellor’s latest message about the challenges posed by the EU referendum result.