Skip to main content

Essential information for EU students

Cardiff University is an international community that values the students and staff that come to study and work here from around the world.

We have over 7,500 EU and international students and 6,800 staff from more than 100 countries. Our alumni reach across 180 countries. This diversity fosters creativity and innovation and is an important part of our culture.

Entry requirements

You will need to show that you have achieved the necessary academic and non-academic requirements for your chosen programme of study.

Our country pages contain specific requirement information for your country along with details of agents and who can support you through the application process.

Tuition fees

For the 2020/21 academic year, EU students will pay the same tuition fees as Welsh students. Full EU tuition fee information can be found on our undergraduate fee and postgraduate fee pages.

Study terms and funding after Brexit

Discussions are currently ongoing to negotiate the terms in which the UK’s relationship with the EU will be set out when the UK formally leaves the EU. This includes the future terms in which EU students will be able to study in the UK.

Further information and guidance on how Brexit might impact study terms can be found on our Brexit pages.

UK residence requirements for EEA and Swiss nationals

EEA and Swiss nationals are entitled to enter the UK freely and have an automatic right of residence for up to three months, and this remains the case whilst the UK is a member of the EU. After this time, to remain in the UK you must exercise your Treaty right to reside. Exercising Treaty rights involves doing one of the five following activities:

You are not required to apply for any document confirming your residency status, but you may want to do so in order to evidence your rights or for your own peace of mind.

Should you wish to do so, you can apply for a Registration Certificate or, if you meet the requirements, Permanent Residence. Family members of EEA nationals exercising Treaty rights may also be eligible to reside in the UK.

Further information regarding the full requirements and the process can be found on the Home Office website and through UK Council for International Student Affairs. Our International Student Support team are also able to assist EEA and Swiss students and their families.

Contact us

International Office