Environmentally friendly Perspex production
We developed a homogeneous catalyst to enable an environmentally friendly and efficient route for Perspex.
We have enabled the application of a new process, the Alpha Process, for the production of methyl methacrylate (MMA), a key commodity precursor to Perspex. We developed and patented a commercially viable synthetic route to a catalyst.
The Alpha Process
- utilises the efficient conversion of cheap readily available feedstocks (ethylene and methanol)
- avoids the requirement for the highly toxic liquid hydrogen cyanide used in the conventional (competitor) process
- is intrinsically more environmentally benign with no toxic waste products
- produces a purer higher quality acrylic resin product for higher value end applications
- is economically cheaper to operate under milder conditions.
Cost saving comparisons
The Alpha Process creates savings of up to 40% on operating costs, over the main competitor technologies.