Environmentally friendly Perspex production
We developed a homogeneous catalyst to enable an environmentally friendly and efficient route for Perspex.
We have enabled the application of a new process, the Alpha Process, for the production of methyl methacrylate (MMA), a key commodity precursor to Perspex. We developed and patented a commercially viable synthetic route to a catalyst.
The Alpha Process
- utilises the efficient conversion of cheap readily available feedstocks (ethylene and methanol)
- avoids the requirement for the highly toxic liquid hydrogen cyanide used in the conventional (competitor) process
- is intrinsically more environmentally benign with no toxic waste products
- produces a purer higher quality acrylic resin product for higher value end applications
- is economically cheaper to operate under milder conditions.
The Alpha Process creates savings of up to 40% on operating costs, over the main competitor technologies.
Greener, more reliable and less costly
- Dervisi, A. et al. 2000. Synthesis and chemistry of diphenyl-2-pyridylphosphine complexes of palladium(0). X-Ray characterisation of Pd(Ph2Ppy)2(?2-DMAD) and trans-Pd(Ph2Ppy)2(PhC?CH2)(CF3CO2). Journal of the Chemical Society, Dalton Transactions 2000 (4), pp.523-528. (10.1039/a908050c)
- Dervisi, A. et al. 1999. Comments on the catalytic alkoxycarbonylation of alkynes. Journal of the Chemical Society. Dalton Transactions 1999 (7), pp.1113-1120. (10.1039/a809624d)