Wolfson Centre for Young People's Mental Health
The Wolfson Centre for Young People’s Mental Health is a dedicated research centre focusing on reducing anxiety and depression in young people.
The Wolfson Centre for Young People’s Mental Health, based at Cardiff University, will be a dedicated interdisciplinary research centre focusing on reducing anxiety and depression in young people. The centre will be opening in late 2020.
Cardiff University experts will work in partnership with Swansea University, Welsh Government, NHS Wales, University Health Boards and schools across Wales.
The Wolfson Centre will focus on five scientific areas:
- It will examine longitudinal data that tracks children over time to better understand how anxiety and depression develop.
- It will consider the role genetic and environmental factors play in anxiety and depression in young people.
- It will develop a new intervention to support young people and families where a parent suffers from depression.
- It will look at the role schools play in promoting positive mental health in youngsters.
- Working jointly with experts from Swansea University, it will use information uniquely available in Wales to better understand long-term outcomes of those young people who experience anxiety and depression.
All the Wolfson Centre’s scientific findings will be developed in partnership with young people, practitioners and policymakers and the information generated will be used to shape public health and school policies with the aim of helping promote better mental health in young people.
We are looking forward to working alongside Swansea University and our colleague Professor Ann John, who will lead a centre work stream focused on identifying targets for optimising the outcomes of youth anxiety and depression, and evaluating the outcome of interventions and new youth mental health policy.
Professor of Developmental Psychopathology, Division of Psychological Medicine and Clinical Neurosciences
- +44 (0)29 2068 8384
Personal Chair, Division of Psychological Medicine and Clinical Neurosciences
- +44 (0)29 2068 8436
Director of Division of Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience, Director of Neuroscience and Mental Health Research Institute, Hon. Consultant Psychiatrist.
- +44 (0) 29 20 688 342
Professor in Social Interventions and Health, Director DECIPHer and Lead for the Schools Health Research Network
- +44 29208 79144
Professor, Division of Psychological Medicine and Clinical Neuroscience; Emeritus Director of the Neuroscience and Mental Health Research Institute
- +44 (0) 29 2068 8320