Computational Methods in Architecture
Enhancing architectural design through the use of innovative computational methods.
This group researches innovative computational methods for use in the creative and design industries.
In particular, we look at form-finding using parametric and generative methods, preparing digital information for further rigorous analysis, and integrating the logic of digital fabrication into the early stages of design.
- Gomaa, M. et al., 2022. Digital manufacturing for earth construction: a critical review. Journal of Cleaner Production 338 130630. (10.1016/j.jclepro.2022.130630)
- Pezzica, C. and Cutini, V. 2021. Linking space syntax and cluster analysis to design and plan temporary housing neighborhoods: A taxonomy of sites in Norcia. Journal of Design for Resilience in Architecture and Planning 2 , pp.89–114. (10.47818/DRArch.2021.v2si037)
- Lila, A. , Jabi, W. and Lannon, S. 2021. Predicting solar radiation with Artificial Neural Network based on urban geometrical classification. Presented at: Building Simulation 2021 Conference Bruges, Belgium 1-3 September 2021. 17th International IBPSA Building Simulation Conference Book of Abstracts. Belgium: , pp.335-336.
- Gomaa, M. et al., 2021. 3D printing system for earth-based construction: case study of cob. Automation in Construction 124 103577. (10.1016/j.autcon.2021.103577)
- Jabi, W. and Chatzivasileiadi, A. 2021. Topologic: exploring spatial reasoning through geometry, topology, and semantics. Presented at: 5th International Symposium Formal Methods in Architecture (5FMA) Lisbon, Portugal 13-16 October 2020. Published in: Eloy, S. et al., Formal Methods in Architecture Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Formal Methods in Architecture (5FMA), Lisbon 2020. Advances in Science, Technology & Innovation Springer, Cham. , pp.277-285. (10.1007/978-3-030-57509-0_25)
- Alammar, A. , Jabi, W. and Lannon, S. 2021. Predicting incident solar radiation on building’s envelope using machine learning. Presented at: 12th Symposium on Simulation for Architecture and Urban Design (SimAUD 2021) Virtual 15-17 April 2021.
- Alhumayani, H. et al. 2020. Environmental assessment of large-scale 3D printing in construction: a comparative study between cob and concrete. Journal of Cleaner Production 270 122463. (10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.122463)
- Al-Jokhadar, A. and Jabi, W. 2020. Spatial reasoning as a syntactic method for programming socio-spatial parametric grammar for vertical residential buildings. Architectural Science Review 63 (2), pp.135-153. (10.1080/00038628.2019.1646631)
- Jabi, W. et al. 2017. Enhancing parametric design through non-manifold topology. Design Studies 52 , pp.96-114. (10.1016/j.destud.2017.04.003)
- Xing, Y. , Lannon, S. and Eames, M. 2014. Exploring the use of systems dynamics in sustainable urban retrofit planning. In: Dixon, T. et al., Urban Retrofitting for Sustainability: Mapping the Transition to 2050. Abingdon and New York: Routledge. , pp.49-70.
- Jones, P. J. et al. 2013. Intensive building energy simulation at early design stage. Presented at: Building Simulation 2013 (BS2013): 13th International Conference of the International Building Performance Simulation Association Chambéry, France 25-28 August 2013. Proceedings of BS2013: 3th Conference of the International Building Performance Simulation Association. International Building Performance Simulation Association (IBPSA). , pp.862-869.
- Enhancing the representation of architectural space in 3d modelling environments (02/09/2016 - 20/12/2019)
- Computing craft: Towards manufacturing of cob structures using robotically controlled 3D printing (02/01/2018 - 01/07/2019)
Deputy Year 2 Chair
- +44 (0)29 2087 0633