High Performing Teams (part of the LBA)
This session is part of The Cardiff LBA (Leadership in Business Administration). You can choose to book this session only, or attend the whole programme (at a cost benefit).
This session focuses on high performing teams.
About the Cardiff LBA
Please note: during the ongoing pandemic, this course will be delivered online, via zoom. If the situation changes later in the year, we may be able to revert to face to face teaching.
The programme is designed to fit around your work and home commitments as it is delivered in one-day sessions across 12 months. You'll find that the sessions are very practical and enjoyable - you'll be able to take ideas back to your organisation and apply them straight away.
You can choose to study just individual sessions or attend the full Cardiff LBA. However, all the topics have been selected in order to give you the broad spectrum of expertise needed to hold senior leadership positions. Find out more about the full LBA programme.
Your trainer will be Richard Strudwick.
Who it’s for
HR directors, team leaders, organisational development (OD) professionals, divisional managers, department heads, personal development and HR professionals.
This session focuses on the ingredient of high(er) performing teams (HTP), looking at four case studies to examine different approaches to HPTs.
So, the day is aimed at those who manage or influence teams where performance is key, those who have a company-wide remit to develop teams and those who shape team development in their organisation.
The Cardiff LBA programme is suitable for those who wish to learn in short sessions, held once a month over a year - and who do not require accreditation or assessment.
What you’ll learn
You'll define high performance.
Use case studies from industry
- Diversity and high performance. Why an international logistics company builds high performance around Dnl.
- Intention vs instruction. Why a Welsh SME shifts its language for higher performance.
- Psychological safety. How international consulting focus on trust in high performance.
Adaptive vs technical problem solving - Ronald Heifetz work
- Team problem solving exercise.
Collaborative problem solving (action learning coaching)
- Introduction to action learning.
- The benefits for performance and route cause problem solving.
- Team practice.
There will be multiple opportunities for you to appreciate how the concepts relate to and/or affects your work. Many examples will be provided from a range of different sectors, in order to illustrate key learning points. After the session, you will be able to practically apply your learning straight away.
Active participation in the programme is required from participants and the completion of project work is essential.
- Team dynamics and problem solving
- Gain understanding of how different tools can drive team performance
- Agree actions on how you might shift gear for your team’s performance
- Participate in team problem solving (action learning)
- Introduction and HPT research
- HPT and diversity and inclusion – Maersk
- HPT and psychological safety – BCG
- HPT and intent – Puffin Produce
- Problem solving – adaptive challenges
- Team exercise
- Problem solving – action learning
- Debrief and actions
- HPT – the research
- How to measure team performance
- Diversity and inclusion and HPTs
- Adaptive vs technical challenges
- Problem solving and action learning – what is action learning?
- Broader understanding of a variety of tactics to develop HPTs
- A chance to examine what HPTs means for you and your organisation
- Understand the increase in complex adaptive challenges and the impact on teams
- Seeing HPT in practice though recent case studies
- Practicing a specific tool (Action Learning) that changes team dynamics while providing breakthroughs to complex challenges
- Making progress on a live ‘thorny’ issue
- Cardiff Business School is 6th in the UK for research excellence - the Cardiff LBA gives you the opportunity to meet and work with our excellent academic faculty, on a range of different topics, and in an enjoyable and thought-provoking way.
- Whether you've already got the learning bug, or it's been a while since you've been to University (or even if you've never studied before) you'll find that working with Cardiff Business School will ignite a passion for new ideas and new thinking.
- This is a very flexible programme, designed to fit in around existing work and home commitments. Choose to attend all sessions or just the ones that most interest you.
- Teaching will be wholly applicable to the workplace, so that, following a session, you will be able to begin practically applying your learning straight away.
- Conversations within the programme are connected to real-world problems that participants are currently facing within the workplace, and those that you will likely face in the future.
- Teaching examples are provided from a range of different sectors, in order to illustrate key learning points.
- A Certificate of Attendance for Executive Education at Cardiff Business School will be awarded subject to the completion of all of the education elements of the programme.