Online Discovering Muslims in Britain
Responding to calls to improve the representation of religions in RE (Commission on Religious Education 2018), Discovering Muslims in Britain aims to support RE in schools through a fully-resourced Key Stage 3 scheme of work.
Based on the Islam-UK Centre’s hugely successful Muslims in Britain Massive Open Online Course (MOOC), the scheme of work employs sociological perspectives on religion and cutting-edge academic scholarship in the teaching resources to focus on how Muslims talk about and live their faith in their everyday lives.
These are orientated around the central question: what does it mean to be a Muslim in Britain today?
Signing up to the Discovering Muslims in Britain online course gives access to the Key Stage 3 scheme of work and lesson resources, along with an online Continuing Professional Development (CPD)/ Professional Learning (PL) course. The course can also facilitate engagement with academic staff at Cardiff University’s Islam-UK Centre
This online CPD / PL course provides a scholarly introduction into the research and debate surrounding Muslims in Britain that underpin the accompanying lesson resources. The course is tailored to the teaching of these materials, supporting RE teachers to use the resources in the classroom. Split over 10 sessions, the scheme of work and online course cover:
- An introduction to the sociology of religion
- A framework for understanding Islam in the lives of Muslims
- Sources of wisdom and authority in the Islamic tradition
- The Five Pillars and religious practice in Britain today
- The history between Muslims and Britain
- Settlement and demography of Muslim communities in Britain
- Mosques: their role and purpose in their local communities
- Diverse Muslim identities
- Expressing faith through the arts
- Islamophobia and the media
Through the course teachers will have the opportunity to check their learning and engage with other teachers and academic staff. Upon successful completion, teachers will also receive certification of having engaged with the Discovering Muslims in Britain course, which is suitable for evidencing CPD/PL.
|Audience||Religious Education teachers|
|Length||10 - 15 hrs|
|Provided by||Centre for the Study of Islam in the UK (Islam-UK Centre)|
|Funder||Jameel Research Programme|