Dr Zeyad Al-Shibaany
Project Officer (ASTUTE 2020)
Zeyad holds a BSc in Control and Systems Engineering from the University of Technology in Iraq, an MSc degree in Mechatronics Engineering (Real-Time Mobile Robots Control Using AI) from Newcastle University in the UK, and a PhD degree in Mechatronics Engineering (Sustainable Manufacturing of Sensors for Portable Medical Devices Applications) from Newcastle University in the UK.
Zeyad joined Cardiff University as a Research Associate and Project Officer in the Centre for Advanced Manufacturing Systems at Cardiff (CAMSAC). He is currently working with a team of Projects’ Officers for Cardiff University’s elements of the Advanced SusTainable manUfacturing TEchnologies (ASTUTE 2020) operation. ASTUTE 2020 is a £22.7m initiative part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund through the Welsh Government and the five participating Welsh Higher Education Institutions to support the long-term sustainability of the manufacturing sector across the whole of Wales.
Zeyad’s research interests are:
- Sustainable Manufacturing
- Industry 4.0
- Industrial Internet of Things IIoT
- Robotics & Mobile Robots Control using AI
- Sensors Design and Manufacturing for Medical Applications
Further information can be found in the Biography section.
- PhD in Mechatronics Engineering, School of Engineering, Newcastle University, UK. The theme of Research: Sustainable Manufacturing of Sensors for Portable Medical Devices Applications.
During my PhD, I have been awarded a high-profile and very prestigious award called “Green Talents” award which was offered by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research in Germany. They recognise my PhD work and my other efforts in sustainable development as one of 25 young high potentials in Sustainable Development in the world in 2017. Click here for more details.
- MSc in Mechatronics Engineering, School of Mechanical and Systems Engineering, Newcastle University, UK. The theme of Project: Adaptive Control of Mobile Robots Using Artificial Intelligence Techniques.
I was awarded a prize and certificate of best Master Student for the academic year 2011/2012 in the School of Mechanical and Systems Engineering at Newcastle University. Also, National Instrument Company awarded me a “LabVIEW Champion” certificate because of the outstanding results that have been obtained in my MSc project.
- BSc in Control and Systems Engineering, University of Technology, Iraq.
- Project Officer and Research Associate in Sustainable Manufacturing and Industry 4.0 – Centre for Advanced Manufacturing Systems at Cardiff University to work on the Cardiff Element of the Advanced Sustainable Manufacturing Technologies 2020 (ASTUTE 2020) Project.
- Chair of the Education Society Chapter in the IEEE UK and Ireland Section. Click here for more details.
- Certified CPD trainer delivering the following courses: Time Management, Tasks Management, Projects Management and Control, Leadership in Management: Leading with Impact, and Transformational Leadership.
- Certificate in Leadership and Management from the University of Cambridge
- Leadership Qualifications (Level 3) from the Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM)
- Project Management and Control Level 5 from the Chartered Management Institute CMI (Fellow of CMI).
Honours and awards
- “Outstanding Young Scientists in Sustainable Development” International Award, Germany, 2017. Click here for more details.
- Certificate of Excellence from Newcastle University for “Initiating and Chairing” the first International Conference for Students on Applied Engineering 2016 ICSAE 2016.
- “The Best Presentation” Certificate, Postgraduate Research Conference, Newcastle University, UK, 2015.
- Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer (CLAD), National Instrument, UK, 2014.
- “LabVIEW Champion” Certificate, National Instrument Corporation, USA, 2013.
- “Certificate of Achievement” in recognition of the outstanding contribution as a Student Orator at University congregation ceremony signed by Professor Chris Brink (Vice-Chancellor of Newcastle University, UK), 2012.
- “Best M.Sc. Student” Prize and Certificate, School of Mechanical and Systems Engineering, Newcastle University, United Kingdom, 2012.
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy HEA, UK.
- Fellow of Chartered Management Institute (FCMI), UK.
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) Ambassador, UK.
- IEEE Member (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers), US.
- IET Member (Institution of Engineering and Technology), UK.
- My speech at Newcastle University Graduation Ceremony 06/12/2012. Click here to watch the video.
- Opening speech of the International Conference for Students on Applied Engineering 2016 (ICSAE 2016), Newcastle, UK, October 20, 2016. Click here to watch the video.
- My speech at the Awards Ceremony, International Conference for Students on Applied Engineering 2016 (ICSAE 2016), Newcastle, UK, October 21, 2016. Click here to watch the video.
Committees and reviewing
- Reviewer, IEEE Sensors Journal (Impact Factor: 2.671).
- Reviewer, Journal of Harmonized Research.
- Reviewer, IEEE Sensors Conference 2018, India.
- Reviewer, ICCAT’ 2016 International Conference on Computer Applications & Technology, in Rome, Italy, 05-07 November 2016.
- Member of Editorial Board and Management Committee of the International Conference on MEMS, Nanotechnology and Precision Engineering (ICMNPE), Korea.
- Reviewer, The second International Symposium on Signal Processing and Intelligent Recognition Systems (SIRS'15), 16-19 December 2015, Park Centre, Technopark, Trivandrum, India.
- Reviewer, 2012 IEEE Symposium on Computer Applications and Industrial Electronics (ISCAIE 2012).
- Chair of the Abstract Reviewers Team, North East Postgraduate Conference 2015 (the largest postgraduate research conference in the UK).
- General Chair and reviewer, The International Conference for Students on Applied Engineering, Newcastle, United Kingdom, 20-21 October 2016.