Enterprise Manager, Enterprise & Start-up Team, Careers & Employability
As Enterprise Manager I lead the Enterprise & Start-up Team which is part of Central Student Support & Wellbeing. We are a service for all students, with a responsibility for raising awareness, developing enterprise skills and supporting business start-up. We are also partnered with Welsh Government in delivering their Entrepreneurship Strategy. Our work includes:
- Awareness raising and inspiring innovation
- Interactive workshops, including entrepreneurial guest speakers
- Experiential learning through community projects
- Collaborating with academics to deliver skills session in curriculum
- 1-2-1 business mentoring
- Student Start-up Awards: awarding sponsored funding and resource
- YMLAEN: a placements scheme for students aspiring to be self-employed
- An annual accelerator week
- Free 12-month office space for graduates
Rhys leads the Enterprise & Start-up Team who work to help students bring their ideas to life. Enterprise skills can give students the confidence to excel in all areas of life, be that education, work placements, graduate jobs and in the community. Developing these skills can also open up the possibility of self-employment as a legitimate career.
In 2016/17 we piloted experiential projects where students could develop their enterprise skills in the community. In collaboration with Community Gateway and Grangetown Community Action, we supported a team of students with taking operational responsibility for the annual Grangetown Summer Festival. We also supported a team of students from the Cardiff Business School who undertook research to help launch the first ever Grangetown World Market in July 2017. We hope to build on both of these successful projects and to continue giving student the chance to develop their skills whilst making a difference to local communities.