Dr Chris North
Director of Recruitment and Admissions
Head of Public Engagement
I am the Ogden Science Lecturer for Cardiff University, working with the Ogden Trust to encourage take-up of physics at school and University. I also hold an STFC Public Engagement Fellowship, focussing on Gravitational Wave research.
I have experience of speaking about a very wide range of astronomy, and am happy to speak about almost anything in the field of astronomy.
- I am the admissions tutor for the School's undergraduate degree programmes.
- I hold an STFC Public Engagement Fellowship entitled "Dawn of Gravitational Wave Astronomy"
- I am the Cardiff University Ogden Science Lecturer, partly-funded by the Ogden Trust
- I coordinate many of the school engagement activities for the School of Physics and Astronomy.
- I present "Pythagorean Astronomy" the monthly astronomy item on Pythagoras' Trousers, a science and engineering show and podcast for Radio Cardiff.
- I am on the advisory group for the IOP Schools Outreach Support Network.
Professional bodies accreditation/membership
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Member of Institute of Physics (MInstP)
- (Ordinary) Member of the IOP Wales Regional Branch Committee
- Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society (FRAS)
- 2016-present: Ogden Science Lecturer, STFC Public Engagement Fellow, Undergraduate Admissions Tutor, Cardiff University School of Physics and Astronomy
- 2014-2016: Lecturer and Undergraduate Admissions Tutor, Cardiff University School of Physics and Astronomy
- 2013-2016: Community Engagement Coordinator, Cardiff University School of Physics and Astronomy
- 2008-2016: PDRA, Cardiff University School of Physics and Astronomy
- 2007-2014: Astronomy Researcher and co-presenter, BBC Sky at Night
- 2005-2008: DPhil, University of Oxford
- 2001-2005: BA, MSci, University of Cambridge
- Institute of Physics
PublicationsWe are currently unable to retrieve the list of publications. Visit our institutional repository.
- Deputy Module Organiser for Engaging Physics
- Guest lecturer for 1st year Planets and Exoplanets
- Guest lecturer for 2nd year Synoptic Physics
- BSc Project Supervisor: Bringing Astronomy into the Classroom
- MPhys Project co-supervisor: Super-resolution observations with Herschel
My astronomy research focuses on the SPIRE instrument onboard the Herschel Space Observatory, which observes far-infrared and submillimetre light from gas and dust in our galaxy and beyond. My specific work is relating to the calibration of the instrument, ensuring that the data produced is as accurate as possible.