Professor Robyn Thomas
Honorary Professor of Management
Robyn Thomas is an Honorary Professor of Management at Cardiff Business School.
Professor Thomas' research interests concern the critical analysis of organizations, with a particular focus on organizational change and resistance, discourse, power and the management of identity at work. Her work has been published in leading international management and organization journals, including Organization Science, Journal of Management Studies, Organization Studies, Organization and International Journal of Human Resource Management.
She is the former Editor-in-Chief for "Organization: The Critical Journal of Organization, Theory and Society" (published by SAGE) and sits on the editorial board of several journals including Organization Studies and Organization. Professor Thomas is the Institutional Co-Director for the International Centre for Research in Discourse, Strategy and Change. Professor Thomas has held visiting positions at the universities of: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia; Lund, Sweden; Bryant, USA; and St Mary’s, Canada. In 2015 she was awarded an honorary doctorate from the University of Eastern Finland.
2011-2015 Editor-in-Chief for the journal Organization: The Critical Journal of Organization, Theory and Society.
Editorial board member for:
- Organization Studies
- Scandinavian Journal of Management
Honours and awards
- 'Outstanding' grade awarded by review panel for ESRC/AIM-funded research fellowship (2007)
- Best Paper Prize (2006) The Finnish Journal of Business Economics
- 'Outstanding' grade awarded by review panel for ESRC-funded research (2002)
- Dorothy Harlow Best Paper Award at the American Academy of Management Meeting (Denver, 2002)
- Best Paper Prize (2000) International Federation of Scholarly Associations of Management (IFSAM) Conference, Montreal.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Chartered Association of Business Schools (CABS) Academic Journal Guide
- Trustee for the Society for the Advancement of Management Studies (SAMS)
- Co-Director of the International member of the International Centre for Research on Organizational Discourse, Strategy and Change (ICRODSC)
- Academic Fellow for the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (FCIPD)
- Appointed as member of the ESRC Peer Review College
- Ghoshal Fellow of the Advanced Institute of Management Research (AIM/ESRC)
Doctoral programme teaching and supervision
- Change and innovation
- Resistance to change
- Managing Age in Organizations: This project focuses on issues of age discrimination in management to explore the way that age and age related issues are managed in organisations in the UK and Australia (funded by the Australian Research Council and Melbourne University).
- Discourse, Power and Organizational Change: Research on strategic change and resistance in organizations.
- Managing Identities: Research exploring the relationship between managerial performance, management knowledge and self-understandings.
PhD supervision research interests
- 2012-2014 Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery Project: “Managing Age in organisational context: a comparative study of the meaning of age among managers” (AUS$ 275,828 / £175,000). Partner investigator on three-year research project (with Cynthia Hardy, Susan Ainsworth (Melbourne) and Leanne Cutcher (Sydney)).
- 2013 University of Melbourne Research Grant (£7000) to conduct UK comparative research into ageing and organizations in Germany, Australia and the UK.
- 2011-2013 Appointed International expert research partner on Finnish University of Eastern Finland research grant on "Innovative Practice". Research funding for research, seminars and workshops on Innovation and strategy-as-practice.