Dr Manuela Pacella
Dr Manuela Pacella is a Lecturer in the High Value Manufacturing Research Theme working in the area of laser manufacturing. She holds a MEng degree in Mechanical Engineering, a PhD in Mechanical Engineering and two years of industrial research experience. Her expertise lies in the field of advanced manufacturing technologies such as laser, subsurface thermal damage induced by laser ablation, ultra-hard materials such as polycrystalline diamond and polycrystalline boron nitrides and their wear modes in automotive and aerospace applications. Her research interests are in the laser-material interaction, wear characteristics of ultra-hard materials and laser surface texturing and surface modifications.
- Member of the Athena Swan Self-assessment Committee
- MMM Teaching Rep of the HSE committee
- Member of the Board of Studies
- 2014: PhD Mechanical Engineering, “Pulsed laser ablation of ultra-hard structures: generation of damage-tolerant freeform surfaces for advanced machining applications”, The University of Nottingham (UK).
- 2011: MEng Mechanical Engineering. Technical University of Bari, IT. Summa Cum Laude.
- 2014 - 2016: Advanced Manufacturing Research Engineer, Element Six Ltd., Harwell Campus, UK.
- 2014: Applications Development Engineer Abrasive System Division, 3M, Milan, IT.
- EN1011 – Materials & Manufacture
- EN1048 – Engineering Applications
- EN2904 – Manufacturing System Design
- EN2024 – Mechanical Engineering Laboratories
- EN3100 – Year 3 Project MMM
- Nomination to receive the 2017 Blackall Award (Machine Tool and Gage Award) by The American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Publication entitled: “An assessment of the wear characteristics of micro-cutting arrays produced from polycrystalline diamond and cubic boron nitride composites”. Results not yet published.
- Invited speaker at Cardiff Soapbox Science 2017.