Lecturer: Occupational Therapy
I am a occupational therapy lecturer at Cardiff University with a special interested in cancer, palliative care and long term conditions. I am the practice education lead for the occupational therapy programmes and teach across undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. I was appointed to my lecturing post in 2017.
I obtained by BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy at Cardiff University in 2009 and completed my MSc Professional Practice, Research at University of South Wales in 2015.
After I qualified as an occupational therapist, I worked in a variety of settings including acute medicine, acute surgery, orthopaedics, hand therapy, community resource team and later in a specialist role as a Macmillan occupational therapist.
I became a lecturer at Cardiff University in 2017 and am the lead for practice education for the occupational therapy programmes.
I am registered with the Royal College of Occupational Therapists as an external examiner.
Honours and awards
Senior Fellow of Advance HE.
Point of Light - 2015 https://www.pointsoflight.gov.uk/battling-teenage-cancer/
St David Award - Citizenship Category - 2014 - finalist (runner-up). https://gov.wales/st-david-awards/lara-cowpe
- Member of the Royal College of Occupational Therapists.
- Registered with the Health and Care Professions Council.
- Member of the Royal College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section - Major Health Conditions.
- Member of the World Federation of Occupational Therapists.
- 2017- present: Lecturer, Cardiff University.
- Cowpe, L and Woods, J. 2020. The role of occupational therapy in palliative care – enabling meaningful occupation until end of life. Second Occupational Therapy Conference in Ukraine, Online. 27th – 28th November 2020 (Oral presentation).
- Cowpe, L and Woods, J. 2019. Shining a light on generalist/ specialist debate in palliative care. Royal College of Occupational Therapists Annual Conference 2019, ICC Birmingham, UK. 17th – 18th June 2019 (Oral presentation).
- Cowpe, L. 2018. Evaluating occupational therapy practice in oncology and palliative care: challenge or opportunity? World Federation of Occupational Therapists Congress 2018, Cape Town Convention Centre, Cape Town, South Africa. 21st - 25th May 2018 (Oral presentation).
Cowpe, L. 2015. Cancer Related Fatigue Management Programme. Wales Occupational Therapy Conference 2015, Cardiff. 13th October 2015 (Poster presentation).
Cowpe, L. 2015. Patient Story. Wales Occupational Therapy Conference 2015, Cardiff. 13th October 2015 (Poster presentation).
- Cowpe, L and Taplin, A. 2014. The Role of Occupational Therapy in Treating Teenagers and Young Adults with Cancer. Royal College of Occupational Therapists Annual Conference 2014, Brighton. June 2014 (Poster presentation)
Resources and publications developed for teaching, learning and continuous professional development for students, educators, professionals and general public:
- Cowpe, L. 2021. Talking to GPs about endometriosis: Lara’s story. [Online] Cochrane UK. Available at: https://www.evidentlycochrane.net/talking-to-gps-about-endometriosis-laras-story/
- Cowpe, L. 2021 Lara: My Endometriosis (Part 1,2 and 3) [Online] Cardiff University. Available at: https://open.spotify.com/episode/7kvmeaSqxvUYDs2I5WMKWy?si=m5MrGEN_R6qmsebRt9wD-w
- Cowpe, L, Murdock, C, Witton, S and Woods, J. 2019 Shining a light on generalist/ specialist debate in palliative care. London: Royal College of Occupational Therapists.
- Cowpe, L. 2010. Developmental Co-ordination Disorder: a personal perspective. PATOSS Bulletin 23(1) pp 35-36.
- Cowpe, L. 2010. Dental Faculty Support for the Teenage Cancer Trust. Surgeons News. 9 (2) pp 96-97.
Committees and reviewing
Other academic and professional contributions
- Secretary - Practice Placement Tutor Forum. 2020 - present.
- Research Liaison - Royal College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section - Major Health Conditions. 2017 - present
- Volunteer - Fair Treatment for the Women of Wales. 2020 - present.
- Volunteer - Teenager Cancer Trust
I am actively involved in teaching, supervising and supporting undergraduate and postgradute students.
I am involved in teaching and assessment across all three levels of the BSc occupational therapy programme and am a module lead.
- Member of the module team for a PGDip occupational therapy programme
- Member of the module team teaching on an MSc module 'understanding cancer care: patient and professional perspectives'.
- Lead for Practice Education for the occupational therapy programmes.
- Personal Tutor.
- Undergraduate and postgraduate research supervisor.
My main research interests centre around cancer and the impact cancer has on individuals. I am currently exploring a PhD proposal and systematic review.
Research interests include:
- Palliative care
- Long term conditions