Lecturer: Occupational Therapy
I am a occupational therapy lecturer at Cardiff University with a special interested in cancer, palliative care and long term conditions.
I obtained by BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy at Cardiff University in 2009 and completed my MSc Professional Practice, Research at University of South Wales in 2015.
After I qualified as an occupational therapist, I worked in a variety of settings including acute medicine, acute surgery, orthopaedics, hand therapy, community resource team and later in a specialist role as a Macmillan occupational therapist.
I became a lecturer at Cardiff University in 2017.
Honours and awards
St David Award - Citizenship Category - 2014 - finalist (runner-up).
- Member of the Royal College of Occupational Therapists.
- Registered with the Health and Care Professions Council.
- Member of the Royal College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section - Oncology & Palliative Care.
- Member of the World Federation of Occupational Therapists.
- 2017- present: Lecturer, Cardiff University.
- Cowpe, L. 2018. Evaluating occupational therapy practice in oncology and palliative care: challenge or opportunity? World Federation of Occupational Therapists Congress 2018, Cape Town Convention Centre, Cape Town, South Africa. 21st - 25th May 2018 (oral presentation).
Committees and reviewing
- Research, development, education and practice representative - National Executive Committe, Royal College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section - Oncology and Palliative Care
I am involved in teaching and assessment across all three levels of the BSc occupational therapy programme and am a module lead.
- Member of the module team for a PG Dip occupational therapy module.
- Member of the module team teaching on an MSc module 'understanding cancer care: patient and professional perspectives.
- Member of the practice education team for the occupational therapy programmes.
- Personal Tutor.
- Undergraduate research supervisor.
My main research interests centre around cancer and the impact cancer has on individuals. I am currently involved in a systematic review exploring the experience and perceptions of adult survivors of the late effects of childhood cancers.
Research interests include:
- Palliative care
- Long term conditions